Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What have you done to your 351M/400

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
C'mon fellas, I know there are more guys out there with an M series. Even if all you want to do is get better oil pressure or stop blow by, post what you want your engine to be like.

I feel like the 335 series is commonly overlooked and misunderstood, and we need to get this section going and show the 335 series the love it deserves.

I love the 400. I've had a 460 and it is awesome, but if 385's weren't available we'd all be raving about the size of the 400 - I mean come on, 400 cubes is a bunch. Besides, torque is cool!

I probably posted this before, but I have a 77 F150 2x in the pasture waiting for a transplant. The 351M/C6 is worn out.

In the shop waiting for me is a 400. On the shelf is a collection of parts including: .020 Badger pistons, 268 Comp cam (IIRC) and new lifters/springs, new timing set, Weiand dual plane intake and a 650 Street Avenger carb.

I got distracted by flatheads a few years back and so the mighty 400 sits patiently waiting. Plus my shop is usable for only 3 seasons (unheated) so repairs and rebuild depend on the calendar.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
These guys have great stuff!
thanks Ben, this one's getting saved :D

No worries man...some of their bigger stroker engines aren't really great street applications obviously and I've been told by a few guys that some of the Barnett engines are pushing the structural integrity of the block and don't last much more than 50-60,000 miles. However, if you can tone down the ego, and get a better street application, not too many problems that I've heard of.

I agree, the bernett engines are just for TOWING aplication, other than that why go higher than a 434 small block? anyways they warn people to use barnetts strokers softly, why would anyone want that=? engines were made to be tough.............. hmmm wasnt that fords idea??? Oh yeah Hiii

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hi Joe...glad you decided to give this place a shot.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I agree, the bernett engines are just for TOWING aplication, other than that why go higher than a 434 small block? anyways they warn people to use barnetts strokers softly, why would anyone want that=? engines were made to be tough.............. hmmm wasnt that fords idea??? Oh yeah Hiii

How the heck do you use a engine softly whats the point of even having it!

exactly my point, he advertised his stroker a while back in fte, i asked about a 498 cid stroker he said something like they shouldnt be streesed, i dont remember exactly but thats the idea... anyways, what have i done to my 400? as the thread syas, I have 10:1 scr a costum made extreme enrgy xe269h comp cam, stock heads ported a bit on the exauhst side, large tube headers 750 eddy performer

Im pushing 400hp @5000 and 462lbs of torque @ 3500

I have the michigan bad year block (`73) (still waiting for it to crack jejej) in my 73 mach 1, and i love it, good fuel economy even for a 6.7lt engine and amazing pulling power even with my 2.75 gears...

93 octane, thats the reason i designed the camshaft, it lowersmy dynamic compresion down to 8:1 perfect for 91-93 octane, its even lower than having 9.5:1 and using one of the rv cams most people use, like the xe252h or even the xe262h. oh and these cams have a 4 degree advance set on them so their ICA is set by default on 106 giving you a higher dcr , my xe269h has it straight up(110) lowering even more my dcr. And the results are great mid range (streetable 400hp) and amazing torque comparable with those obtanied with an rv cam...

Remember, static compression ratio doesnt determine your octane needs, dynamic compresion does...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Is that how you work all your magic...using those two links? Looks like I'll still have to ask you for help though. I have no clue what some of the definitions are of those terms. On top of that, when I did try to input some info and calculate, it said:

Warning: divinding by zero is prohibited...and then gave me danlee's username.

Looks like you still got a job from me at least...haha.

those pages got me started, anyways, you have to set everything in order from top to bottom, calculating first rod ratio, static Cr etcc... after setting each item use the back on your browser and continue, use 170 operating degrees cuz these settings where calculated using old under the deck pistons...

Most engine builder dont know what dcr is and its the most important factor in engine design acording to its purpose and octane needs thus making the most efficient engine you can calculate on paper...

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
First off high to all, my first post here in the boards :wavey: !

I love my 400 in my 79 250. Yeah stock it was pretty doggy but I've added an Eddy intake, Holley 670 TA, Comp Cams 265 Deh K-kit (cam, lifters, t-chain set, valve springs), Heddman headers (Sandersons are in my basement rusting away) and a DUI/HEI Dizzy. It'll easily turn well over 5500 rpm now. Completely different truck.

Once it gets tired I plan on doing a teardown and putting some higher compression Tmeyer pistons in the holes on the rebuild.

Ford Truck Articles