Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What have you done to your 351M/400

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
It should be around 6k US, that is with me getting some machining done here and a friend giving me a hand with the build as I really haven't put an engine together in 20 years. The altitude helps here, our bikes run almost 11:1 and they are air cooled...they can be made to ping if you lug them....the cam Tim is using (which I don't fully know the specs yet) will help as well.

Last edited:

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I can see why the M engines are so very unpopular now.

That's just makes more parts availible for those of us that understand the awsome potenial of these engines.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
DOesn't look too shabby there Tex. I've heard of them before, but can't seem to remember any testimonials. $1200 for a long block with a 100,000mi/7yr warranty doesn't sound too bad either.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
You know Ben I think I have looked at so many engines and engine packages that i've gone a little mad.
What I really want is a damn good strong engine with a ton of low end grunt I want to be able to run 87 pump, that's really what I want..

Thats exactly what you get with a 400 build, if you have an olod 351m 400 laying around, it will go for cheap...

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
What are good heads to put on 400?
I know how every one puts the gt heads on 302s and 351s does the 400 have any good heads for it?

thats hwere 335 series engines rock, theres a large selection of heads for the cleveland engines or 335 series (302c 351c 351m 400), even people with windsor use cleveland heads on their engines. The cheapest but great way to go are the aussie heads, you can get them with tim meyer..

Yup, the aussies are a fairly good and economical way to go. Tim Meyer is a dealer in those heads, as well as those from Cylinder Head Innovations (CHI). If you're willing to blow a bit more cash, the CHI heads are a good way to go as well.

Myself, I'll be going with the CHI 2V heads when Tim does my longblock in the next month or so. I could go the same direction like Dan, and go with the 3V, but the CHI intake doesn't support Ford linkage nor does it have the mounting positions for the factory cruise either. I'm hoping to place my order with Tim in the next few weeks.

As for interchangability of parts, it's 6 in one, half dozen in the other. Every engine class has parts, some harder to find than others, but it still boils down to a matter of taste. I'm going with the 434 option, as the 400 was the largest V8 put into 79 4x4's, and I want to at least keep marginally to the spirit of originality. Besides, when you see 460's all the time, seeing something weird like a 400 that's been all done up is refreshing (my opinion).

On that subject, when I last spoke to Tim, I believe he said that there either was or they were working on a set of adapter plates to make a Windsor intake compatible with the 400. That would open up a couple doors for folks here, as the 351W has EFI options all over the place. I think a 400 with a 351W GT-40 EFI intake would be quite the sight (pity I sold my GT-40 351W last summer).

But then, if I was truly sick in the head, I'd use my 428CJ parts and drop that into Buford. Now THAT would be interesting....but way more work than is necessary.

Oh, by the way....I find it odd that this forum only has the 351m/400 in the title. Where the heck did the 351C go? It's in the same family, and it's not listed in the index. I think an administrator here might want to revamp in that area, especially considering all the Cleveland stuff that works on our engines. Just a thought.

Anyway...thought I'd blather a bit...especially since it's my first post here. I'm still torn about the idea of splitting the crowd from the other site, but I suppose those things happen.

I had two 351m's, niether had oil pressure, I traded both of them and a few humdred bucks for a good running 460 and never looked back. My friend has a mildly built 400 and I do have alot of respect for it, its been a great mill for wheeling and is a lot lighter than my 460

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
1980 F-150 351M bored .060 LT headers with GP's dumping out under the cab...had a Holley 4bbl on it but blew the power valve so the 2bbl FoMoCo carb is goin back on...got better power with it anyways.but.....My buddy told me last night he wanted it so it's goin after he gets his tax truck....I'd love to keep it or sell it to Tony but I don't have the money to keep it......

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I had two 351m's, niether had oil pressure, I traded both of them and a few humdred bucks for a good running 460 and never looked back. My friend has a mildly built 400 and I do have alot of respect for it, its been a great mill for wheeling and is a lot lighter than my 460

Yeah, I'll never argue that old worn out 335 series have oil problems, or that there is no replacement for displacement. BUT...if you have the time and money to show them a little TLC, they're a great engine. I believe TMI showed that the 400 is about 150 lbs lighter than the 460.

1980 F-150 351M bored .060 LT headers with GP's dumping out under the cab...had a Holley 4bbl on it but blew the power valve so the 2bbl FoMoCo carb is goin back on...got better power with it anyways.but.....My buddy told me last night he wanted it so it's goin after he gets his tax truck....I'd love to keep it or sell it to Tony but I don't have the money to keep it......

.060 over...holy crap, how'd those cylinder walls hold up? I've always been told you don't wanna go with any more than .040 bore job. As far as the 4bbl Holley, it couldn't have been tuned properly or was too much carb for the engine. The 4bbl will always give more power and better mpg's. Dyno proven in my case...I use the Holley 4150 650 cfm on all my rigs, and I always gain 12-15 hp and 2-4 mpg's.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Y
.060 over...holy crap, how'd those cylinder walls hold up? I've always been told you don't wanna go with any more than .040 bore job. As far as the 4bbl Holley, it couldn't have been tuned properly or was too much carb for the engine. The 4bbl will always give more power and better mpg's. Dyno proven in my case...I use the Holley 4150 650 cfm on all my rigs, and I always gain 12-15 hp and 2-4 mpg's.

Yeah no kidding 60 over is way to much, the only times I ever hear about going that big is the cylinder being way out of round and then they have to sleeve it.
If your having a issue with PVs blowing out then you need to get the PV blow out protection kit, you'll never blow have to deal with blown out PVs again.

Yeah, I'll never argue that old worn out 335 series have oil problems, or that there is no replacement for displacement. BUT...if you have the time and money to show them a little TLC, they're a great engine. I believe TMI showed that the 400 is about 150 lbs lighter than the 460.

I will give the 335 props there. My tires hit the fenders occasionally now, they didn't with the 351m, my 460 has iron intake and exhaust manifolds 'smiliedoh' .

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah...as far as I'm concerned it was the best of both worlds...it was like a big block mixed with a small block. It's lighter than the 460, and can still get the job done, and yet it's got more power than a small block and not too much heavier.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
You know Ben I think I have looked at so many engines and engine packages that i've gone a little mad.
What I really want is a damn good strong engine with a ton of low end grunt I want to be able to run 87 pump, that's really what I want..

tex you will be happier if you run on premium gas... you can get more power that way...

Ben what heads do you plan on running?

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I got a 351 in my garage right now that I pulled out of a junk truck. Also .060 over is as far as you want to go but Ive heard of .080 and even .125 on FEs.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ben what heads do you plan on running?

Well for right now...if I do anything to the heads, they'll just get shaved. But when I have all the money in the world, I'd run CHI 3v heads.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts