Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

v4...The Dents We Find

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
It even has a locking hood latch. smilieFordlogo

Not bad... I don't care for the wheels, but that's only a personal preference. The power windows are a nice touch. Looks to have aftermarket door panels.

I think the wheels look pretty good with the color of the truck.

Power windows are a definite plus.

Stock door panels with what looks to be screws with covers over them. Aftermarket panels had a lot more screws.

From the pics I seen I'd give it a strong 8.5, looks to be solid.

Mirror heads and antenna would be the first thing I'd change.

Last edited:

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Ya, the truck looks to be real solid. It does take a bit more cash to do dress up the engine and interior, but the power windows is a nice upgrade, wheels/tires and a nice paint job. Some people just start running out of time and money or they just don't care about the engine looking all nice and purdy. If the price sounds right to you Ken than get it. It looks to have everything there and what you'll have to do is just ad some minor stuff. Nice find.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
That's a pretty sweet one there Ken. Only thing is, I don't see any underneath pics. I'd email the owner and see if he can send you some more pics of everything to see how it looks underneath.

I called and talked with the guy.....he said he hadn't gotten any underneath pictures because it's been raining every day for over a week, but will try to sneak it in the garage and take some. He said it's no different than what the rest of the truck; no oil stains, surface rust, etc. as it's only been driven to shows since it's restoration and was always garaged.

Not bad... I don't care for the wheels, but that's only a personal preference. The power windows are a nice touch. Looks to have aftermarket door panels.

Being a wheel guy, I think the wheels actually go along with the theme of the truck.

It even has a locking hood latch. smilieFordlogo

Hey Austin, what's this?

I think the wheels look pretty good with the color of the truck.

Power windows are a definite plus.

Stock door panels with what looks to be screws with covers over them. Aftermarket panels had a lot more screws.

From the pics I seen I'd give it a strong 8.5, looks to be solid.

Mirror heads and antenna would be the first thing I'd change.

Ya, the truck looks to be real solid. It does take a bit more cash to do dress up the engine and interior, but the power windows is a nice upgrade, wheels/tires and a nice paint job. Some people just start running out of time and money or they just don't care about the engine looking all nice and purdy. If the price sounds right to you Ken than get it. It looks to have everything there and what you'll have to do is just ad some minor stuff. Nice find.

Exactly my thoughts.......wife and I will probably make a decision tonight or tomorrow in case it goes quick.

I called the guy to get a few more details and after I asked him his bottom line, he told me he already refused an offer of $12k and wants closer to 15k as that's what he gave the Restorer for it in trade.

He's a heavy truck dealer/options kinda of company so he said he can give me temporary tags to drive home and would be able to pick me up at the airport which is only 2 miles from his shop.

Thanks fellas.....we didn't want to make any decisions without some input and it's really helping, so thanks. smilieFordlogo

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
If you take a look at one of the interior shots and look below and to the left of the steering wheel, you'll see what looks like a t-handle with a key hole. It was an option back in the day to have an actual locking hood latch. And that's it.

Nice looking truck Ken. I didn't think you could bore a 400 CI engine to a 460 CI. Someone else will have to chime in on that one. The grill looks like it has chrome peeling off, and the rear bumper is sagging.
I agree with Scott on what he said, and I'd change the steps too.
I think it needs a little more lift for the size of the tires. No biggy, just my opinion.

If you buy it , you better stop by here so I can see it. I could put ya'll up for the night.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
He'll also be close enough to swing down and have me polish it! :D

I called the guy to get a few more details and after I asked him his bottom line, he told me he already refused an offer of $12k and wants closer to 15k as that's what he gave the Restorer for it in trade.

I'd bet that 14K cash would take that truck home. If the undercarriage is as nice as what the body is presenting 14K, hell even 15K would be a great deal. I've done enough of these to know what kind of money is blown.

I'd ask if he knows anything about the prior life of the truck. If it was rusted before repairs, any pictures of the restoration. Be leery of the known rust issue areas and check them hard. Everyone knows what a little bondo can cover up.

Yes that round bar stock would have to go.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
If you take a look at one of the interior shots and look below and to the left of the steering wheel, you'll see what looks like a t-handle with a key hole. It was an option back in the day to have an actual locking hood latch. And that's it.

Ahh....I see it....thanks...that's pretty cool.

Nice looking truck Ken. I didn't think you could bore a 400 CI engine to a 460 CI. Someone else will have to chime in on that one. The grill looks like it has chrome peeling off, and the rear bumper is sagging.
I think it needs a little more lift for the size of the tires. No biggy, just my opinion.

If you buy it , you better stop by here so I can see it. I could put ya'll up for the night.

Yeah Mark....I looked on the map and I'll literally be driving right by.....would be cool....would be just me....wifey has to stay home with the new baby. I'll still have a blast if it happens.

Doug already caught the bore thing and mentioned it to me and I asked the guy about it and he said he probably put the info in the ad wrong. He believes it's a 460 and was bored out, but the PO was local and could get any additional information from him if need be. He did say a local racing engine shop was the one that rebuilt it to high tech specs.

He traded a truck he had for it so he doesn't know any history other than what the PO mentioned during the trade.

He'll also be close enough to swing down and have me polish it! :D

Austin, YOU'RE WEST OF THERE....but super close, less than 4 hr drive.

I'd bet that 14K cash would take that truck home. If the undercarriage is as nice as what the body is presenting 14K, hell even 15K would be a great deal. I've done enough of these to know what kind of money is blown.

I'd ask if he knows anything about the prior life of the truck. If it was rusted before repairs, any pictures of the restoration. Be leery of the known rust issue areas and check them hard. Everyone knows what a little bondo can cover up.

Yes that round bar stock would have to go.

Agreed on all accounts and will see if I can get a hold of the PO.....Scott, thanks again.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
If you get the truck and really like it, I know a side trip you could make..............:wasntme:

I wish you the best!

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
West is merely a direction. Paint perfection is the direction you need to go. smilietease

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
If you get the truck and really like it, I know a side trip you could make..............:wasntme:

I wish you the best!

Was planning on asking! :)

Sent from my not so smart phone using Forum Runner! :)

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I think this deal is going to happen fellas. :) Will know for sure in the morning. Checking flights, working out deposit and payout, etc.

Sent from my not so smart phone using Forum Runner! :)

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I don't know Ken. It doesn't have everything you might need. It's missing the jack under the hood and not sure where the washer fluid tank is. YelloThumbUp

Fellro

Staff member
All in all seems decent, but that engine description bugs me for a mistake, considering he went 3 ways with it... 400 bored to 460, 460 racing engine, and then tells you it is a bored 460... Also 400 racing engine bored to 460. 4 speed auto? What the??? That is the one thing that is throwing questions, as they really should know what they are doing after 3 listings... Is it a dealer, or private? Another question... If a dealer, no excuse for no underbody pics...

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I don't know Ken. It doesn't have everything you might need. It's missing the jack under the hood and not sure where the washer fluid tank is. YelloThumbUp

:wasntme:

All in all seems decent, but that engine description bugs me for a mistake, considering he went 3 ways with it... 400 bored to 460, 460 racing engine, and then tells you it is a bored 460... Also 400 racing engine bored to 460. 4 speed auto? What the??? That is the one thing that is throwing questions, as they really should know what they are doing after 3 listings... Is it a dealer, or private? Another question... If a dealer, no excuse for no underbody pics...

This is an issue for sure and the good thing is the PO is local and so is the engine shop that did the rebuild, so these questions should be answered shortly.

It is a dealer, but after speaking with him, he doesn't sell cars as his main part of this business......his company is more like a heavy truck specialty service and repair shop and the only reason he's selling this is because the PO needed a work truck he was selling and traded him this dent for it. After speaking with him on the phone about it, it was clear, the guy didn't know very much about this rig at all, which in itself is a little red flad, but will try to get some more details tomorrow before giving a deposit and such.

Thanks,

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I think that's a strong candidate Ken. Things that bugged me, for that kinda scratch, I'd want new door panels and carpet...and the speakers cut in to the door drive me insane. The engine description is off, but should be easily enough explained. After seeing the engine bay, which to me looks like it needs some spiffing up, I'd want to see underneath. So no huge issues and pretty nitpicky, but for the scratch, I'd want clarification and validation. You have my blessing...haha.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I think that's a strong candidate Ken. Things that bugged me, for that kinda scratch, I'd want new door panels and carpet...and the speakers cut in to the door drive me insane. The engine description is off, but should be easily enough explained. After seeing the engine bay, which to me looks like it needs some spiffing up, I'd want to see underneath. So no huge issues and pretty nitpicky, but for the scratch, I'd want clarification and validation. You have my blessing...haha.

Ben, is that you? smilietease Welcome back.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
BTW...I realize time is of the essence, so it probably wouldn't mesh well for you, but that's only 2.5hrs from me. I have month and quarter close at the new job and a wedding to get through, but I wouldn't mind going and taking. Look for you NEXT weekend. Like I said, probably a week too late, but I figured I'd put it out there.

Ben, is that you? smilietease Welcome back.

Yeah it's me...just been super swamped with the new job...been flying all over kissing hands and shaking babies. The next week and half will probably be solid 12-16hr days and I have a week long trip out to Anaheim to shake more babies and kiss more hands coming up soon. Should slow soon though.

Edit...BTW...Portland is flipping gorgeous, I still hate Chicago and I'd still prefer to drive 20 hours straight than have to deal with airports. Might have to see what it costs to rent a little 2 engine and have my navy buddy fly me around...hahaha.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts