Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

T M I 434

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Been a while since an update...so here it is :D
Talked with Tim today to confirm order of some intake and head gaskets that got damaged in transit and also ordered some different cam bearings that are grooved for improved lubrication. Also ordered a set of 4 bolt main caps...I was just going to use studs, but at this juncture...in for a penny, in for a pound. And extra insurance to be able to spin it to 6500.

Fl.
Is Tim doing the work on this motor or are you buying parts from him? I thought this build was done by now?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Is Tim doing the work on this motor or are you buying parts from him? I thought this build was done by now?

No...Tim supplied the materials and advice..I am assembling with a buddy. I have not put the engine together yet as I wasn't sure how long it was gonna be before I got the truck on the road.

Good plan. I only plan on assy. of the 521 when the rest of the truck is ready. This way, everything is "fresh". Besides, I don't have a climate controlled area to store a complete engine anyway, so I might as well leave it in boxes. :)

Is your 434 hitting the dyno before install?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Probably not Derek, will do it after it's installed.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dang am I glad to see an update on this, I didn't wanna have to seem stalkerish and ask for updates on every site this build is posted on until I got a reply.

Questions...are these 4 bolt mains made by Tim? And the same question about the gaskets?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I think the gaskets are Cometic and I'm not sure aout the caps, should be picking them up this week though...so I will report back :D

Let me help you Duncan
The main caps are manufactured for us by Pro-Gram Engineering.
The intake gasket is manufactured for us by Cometic of a special material.
The material has an aluminum core with a "rubber type" coating.
Head gasket, just plain Fel-pro.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
4 bolt main caps arrived:

79_truck_0124.JPG

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Winnar!!!!!!!!!!!

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
:redface: I am not that familiar with the bottom end of the engine. Does the block have to be drilled for the extra two holes?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yes it does Doug...and just the inner 3 caps are like this, then ends are 2 bolt..all is getting studs and the additional holes will get bolts.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
And....replacement gaskets for the intake and heads as well as an updated set of grooved cam bearings..procrastination paid off :D

79_truck_0137.JPG

Am I wrong or did Tim not do the machine work on your engine block? The addition of the 4-bolt caps would require additional machining and another align hone.

I'm sure I am missing something though, I never follow threads very well. :p

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
No machine work has been done on the block yet Derek...getting it done locally...I'm using the original block that was in the truck providing that nothing odd shows up when checking it.

Fl.
Looks Good. yes you will need to line bore the block with the new caps. Good to go with studs. What year block do you have? You do know that the 77 block is the strongest block? I would look for one of those if I had not started any machine work yet. the 77 block has thicker webbing's and works really good with the 4 bolt caps. lifter valley is stronger too. Drill and tap 2 holes and use the roller stuff from a W. Works good and is easy.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I would assume it is a 78 or 79 block, although I have not checked, thanks for he info but barring something turning up when the block gets checked I will be sticking with this one..already have studs and roller rockers.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts