Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Preparing for a ZF Swap

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yes, eco -- the deal is pretty much sealed. Money will not exchange hands until I see proof of shipment, and he'll get half. Then the other half will come when the parts arrive. As long as the guy doesn't flake on me, it's a done deal.

Well, no more trans cooler!!

Plus you can do the rear main seal job.

Also, are you going to get a 10.25 Sterling rear end to go with this heavy duty trans?

Fellro

Staff member
Just because the trans is better than the Mazda trans doesn't make it truly heavy duty, nor does it require the rear axle be changed anyway. A 9" would do fine if needed.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Kragen carries a LuK flywheel for my setup for around $75, no core. LuK is good parts, no? Price seemed pretty cheap to me :)

Fellro

Staff member
Yep, LuK is a very reputable brand. I can get el cheapos from AZ for about the same, so that is a pretty good price.

LuK makes them for some of the Fords. My buddy in Calif might be able to sell you one. he can sell you a Trans w/ warranty on any make and might be able to answer some of these swap questions.

give him a call 1-800-631-8756 A.B.E Transmissions, name is Ron, did a lot of business with him. I sold ZF's to L.A county fire dept using his transmissions.

Ed

Fellro

Staff member
If you need any pics/references, I have a ZF in the 88... behind a 351 at that.

Just because the trans is better than the Mazda trans doesn't make it truly heavy duty, nor does it require the rear axle be changed anyway. A 9" would do fine if needed.

Require and would be better is not the same thing.

For hard core boat towing I would opt for more heavy duty rear end that the 8.8....not that it's required but it would hold up and take the abuse much better.

Require and would be better is not the same thing.

For hard core boat towing I would opt for more heavy duty rear end that the 8.8....not that it's required but it would hold up and take the abuse much better.
i'm all for spending other people's money, but at what point do you just say "maybe i should have bought a bigger truck?"

Fellro

Staff member
And where did he say anything about doing the swap for more towing ability? And as I said earlier, a 9" would hold up far better than the 8.8, doesn't require changing wheels, and was available in the early 80's versions.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah if I WERE to swap it'd probably be a 9" with a speed sensor setup like Tony has -- that way I wouldn't have to dump my wheels and half 8 lugs on the rear and 5 lugs on the front.

I'm pretty sure the 8.8 should do just fine with the boat. I'm not pulling 15k lbs, its probably more like 6-7k lbs.

And where did he say anything about doing the swap for more towing ability? And as I said earlier, a 9" would hold up far better than the 8.8, doesn't require changing wheels, and was available in the early 80's versions.

On the other site and presumably this site as well he started a thread about getting a new boat and wether or not his truck is up to the task of towing it.

Many things came up as weak points and since then he has been doing one thing or another to get his truck up to par and this tranny swap is one of them it would appear considering what he has already done to his trans to make it tow better.

The only reason I said 10.25 is because projectresponder has one as well as everything needed to install it and he isn't asking much if I remember correctly.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Nothing :rotz: I PMd him several days ago and he told me he had been real busy with work and hadn't gotten a chance to dig into it yet, said he'd start working on Saturday or Sunday (last weekend, not the current one). Haven't heard back yet and I hate to be a nag or else he'll stop being nice.

I'll keep ya'll posted with any updates as I get them.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
What sensor kit did tony get ??? I got several old 9' around .

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
U do know The 87 up truck needs a tone ring and 9" have none. The 93 up use it for speedo
Tony rigged up a 9" in his 9th gen by using the speed sensor from some other Ford vehicle... A taurus or a windstar or something... He said it works great.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
He will Have to post it up if didn't all ready . I never had problems with 8.8 or Mazda even when I dragged raced. But I do have a low milage 4:10 ratio rear with a locker that would be nice.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
He said he's made some progress (non-specific) and he plans to have it all out by Thursday.

I'm starting to lose my motivation for the project with all this down time :( I was all amped up before and I'm not anymore... I'll keep ya'll posted.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
What sensor kit did tony get ??? I got several old 9' around .
I used a sensor from an early 90's Crown Vic. It goes into the transmission or transfer case just like a speedometer cable would, except it is a pulse generator.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts