Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Preparing for a ZF Swap

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I used a sensor from an early 90's Crown Vic. It goes into the transmission or transfer case just like a speedometer cable would, except it is a pulse generator.

What has to done to get this to work . T-case mods or trans mods???

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Skank didn't point out that mine has an earlier model transfer case. It still has the hole for the speedo cable.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Tony- guessing your truck doesn't have ABS, either, right?

My Ranger has a similar (or same) electronic speed sensor stuck into the back of the transmission where the cable used to go, but it also has a sensor on the rear axle for the useless RABS system...

Might be another issue for someone who wanted to keep that system in place, though I don't know.

my inheritance....

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Figure I should give you guys the update. The guy has been slacking in updating me on his progress so I finally contacted him about it...

Me said:
Dustin -- I'm just going to have to assume that your lack of communication and progress with me is indicative of the fact that you're not planning on pulling the parts and selling them to me. It's been several weeks now and I've been neglecting to buy parts for my overheating auto transmission in anticipation of buying your ZF and now I might be causing more problems to my truck. If you're serious about this sale then let me know. If you don't think your up to the task of pulling the parts and shipping then to me that that's perfectly fine, but please just let me know so I can come up with another plan. Thanks.
Him said:
sorry man, I really thought I would have had the parts pulled by now, Ive just been really busy lately. with the holiday weekend coming up I will not be working after tuesday. I should be able to get all the parts pulled this weekend, and shipped this coming wednesday. if you dont want them I understand.
Me said:
I do want the parts, but I can't keep waiting for months to get them pulled. If you really think you can get the parts shipped by next week then I'm game. Please keep me updated if you do or don't make any progress. Thanks brother.

The part about my overheating transmission is actually sort of true... When I drove to Stockton on a NASTY hot day and my trans got up to 200* F. I'm assuming this is because my efan isn't pulling enough air through my trans cooler because of it's position. I was planning on getting a better cooler and a pusher fan for the cooler but I decided against it because I was gonna do this ZF swap.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well it appears that the deal is off...

Me said:
Hey Dustin... Well Wednesday came and went and I never heard from you... What's the update? I'm running out of summertime to do this swap -- I have to go back to school in early August and I won't have the time or the tools do it there. Please let me know. Thanks.

Him said:
I have not got it out yet, I have been working from daylight to dark and going home more behind then I was before I started the day. Im sorry. I did not think I would have a problem getting to it, I did not mean to waste your time. I guess Im out.

Me said:
"You're out" meaning you don't want to sell it after all? If shipping the parts is the problem, my friend Brad is willing to pick up the parts and ship them for you... What's the deal Dustin? I've been waiting on you for weeks.

Him said:
the deal is I dont know when I can get the parts out for sure, maybe saturday maybe early next week, I dont know when I will have time to do it, and i dont want to keep stringing you along. I know you need the parts pretty bad, I can work on it on saturday, I just didnt want to keep this going and me not be able to hold my end of the deal up still yet.

Me said:
Fair enough. In the meantime, I'm going to start looking for more ZF's. If/when you get yours pulled, let me know. If I haven't found a plan B then perhaps we can go through with the deal. Just keep me posted.

Thanks Dustin.

......lame :headbang:

Fellro

Staff member
According to this person, you should have them laying around out there...
I have had both the T19 and C-6 behind the IDI's both suck. But the T19 is worse. Too bad you didn't live closer I have 3 ZF-5 trans about to hit the scrap pile. You can find ZF-5 2wd trans in the You Pull yards often and they are only 79.99 plus tax.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I've been to the local Pick-n-Pull several times and always kept an eye out for ZF transmissions -- they are NOT that easy to find, lol. Needless to say, I've never found one there.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I'd liketo see a ZF for $79. Every area is different here a 2x4 ZF is $300+ And a 4x4 is around $500 at wreckers .But a manual is rare noo matter what kind. And I can buy a whole truck for that .

The one I said about months ago at the wrecker is still there . Guy won't sell it now. Needs it for his tilt bacK .

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
He was from Brentwod, Ca.. I'd like to see a trans for that and be worth anything....

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Skan I went to look at a rolled F250 with 66000 miles . I wanted the bed. Some one had swapped in a Mazda tranny . Probably though who would check . Bummer

you need one of these. I drove a truck with a 460 and a zf this weekend and it was sweet. The granny low gear could pull a house down.

Fellro

Staff member
If only a 460 2wd unit would work for you...I have one of those....:headbang:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts