Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Preparing for a ZF Swap

How much truck down time will be involved with this? Whatever amount of time you think it will be, triple it (at least). No big project ever goes according to plan and without unexpected hang-ups. Got a back up rig? Got a place to do the job where the truck can sit for a while if need be?

Last edited:

andym

Real men are fanatics
I wouldn't put anything but motorcraft back in there. 99% of what you buy from a parts store these days is cheap Chinese junk.

andym

Real men are fanatics
Eco brings up a VERY good point. When I swapped an engine a couple years ago, I figured it would take me a weekend, maybe two at the most. I still giggle when I think back to saying that.

andym

Real men are fanatics
I made the assumption from Chris's original post that he was not asking if a automatic starter from a 300 would fit a manual starter from a 351.

I wouldn't put anything but motorcraft back in there. 99% of what you buy from a parts store these days is cheap Chinese junk.

I always wondered where the Motorcraft stuff really comes from.

It isn't like Ford makes all their own parts.

It's got to be a combination of Autolite, Standard Motor Products, Wells and who knows what else.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Just got the story as to why he's parting with the transmission:

guy with zf said:
I have had nothing but trouble from this truck, I put a new engine in it and the tranny goes, I swap the ZF into it and the rear end goes, swap another rear into it and the pinion bearing goes out on it and the steering column messes up. Im tired of working on this truck. it is full of new parts and its just time to say enough, the truck has seen nothing but highway, after spending all the money on the new ZF and the clutch parts I hate to part it out but its the only way to get some of my money back.

Sound pretty legit to me, eh? :)

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Sure does. :)

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Sounds like it may have been abused. Good thing Brads gonna check it out for you.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Got a 2nd opinion from the number dummy (thanks Bill) and he said the starters are matching part numbers -- flywheels are not :) Great news, cuz this guy says the starter is new and has a lifetime warranty.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Asked him if he had receipts, here's his response:

guy with zf said:
I do not have any of the receipts, I know I had to return several parts because I did not right ones to begin with, and a friend that owns a shop bought some of the parts for me and charged me for them, the swap was done at his shop. I can tell you that most of the parts still look brand new. as far as these trucks being reliable, Ive had a couple that I put through hell as couldnt tear em up and then this one I couldnt keep it running, I guess sometimes you just get a bad one.

The 2nd part about trucks being reliable was my response to his bad luck with the truck --- told him I was sorry for his luck and that usually these 8th and 9th gen Ford are pretty reliable but sometimes you just get a bad apple.

So I asked him if he had brand names for the slave and the starter.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
guy with zf said:
the slave and the slave line was bought from a ford dealer, when I was researching the swap I was hearing about leaks from the parts store slaves and bought ford, the starter is a duralast from autozone and has a lifetime warranty I think. I will throw it in.
Glad to hear the slave and line are from Ford. Any way I could confirm it once the trans gets here?

Sucks its a duralast starter, but at least if it craps I can get another.

Whatchu guys think? $850 shipped sound pretty fair? Santa Clara Truck Wreckers wants $900 for JUST a used ZF-5 -- not rebuilt, USED.

Fellro

Staff member
Make sure to get the phone number for the warranty on the starter, or the warranty is void... not to mention, you will never find it. AZ does all their warranties based off of the phone number given.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Brad and Bonnie are driving the Mustang out to see the ZF today :) It's a danged 2 hour trip and to be honest, I tried to talk Brad out of it cuz I felt bad but he insisted. So they're actually making somewhat of a day trip out of it -- eating at a neat diner that Bonnie's always wanted to go to and going to a tiger sanctuary in the area down there :) What a great guy huh? Hopefully all will go well and I'll have a ZF soon :D

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
uhhhh am I missing something or doesn't your brother have an f-350 with all the pedel assemblies the hump cover and bunch of other crap you may need in that parts truck?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
uhhhh am I missing something or doesn't your brother have an f-350 with all the pedel assemblies the hump cover and bunch of other crap you may need in that parts truck?
He sold the whole kit and cabootle for $700 to a guy a couple weeks ago (before I thought I was doing a zf swap) :( Sure coulda used the pedals and floorpan hump :( Oh well.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I Work a week of 16 hour days look at all the posts I missed.

Everything should be a go . U got the front shaft covered as said . floor pan,trans ,exfer case, And know a good shaft shop. Peddles r same

Only thing I see is your xsfer is electric . You need manual exsfer (Probably know it ) And shift linkage ,boot for inside.

Cosmetically u will need the manual plate ,(To delete indicator ) gauge cluster surround,and the covers for steering colomn to do away with hole for Zf.

If u can't find a ECU (and this has probably been descussed and I missed it ) I'm told thet if u wire MPLS sensor to be in neutral (Loop ) It will work fine with Manual trans.

I admit I skipped threw this post a little so sorry for rehashing things already descussed.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts