Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Preparing for a ZF Swap

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Another Skan project in the works. Will this one reach completion?
The only project that I started and didn't finish was the bumper -- and that was because I decided halfway through that I didn't like the bumper very much. Longtubes don't count cuz they're illegal in CA, otherwise I would have finished it.

eco said:
Look at it this way, if you do this job you will have an opportunity to finally fix the rear main leak that you were going to do a long time ago. So, two birds killed with one stone!!
Absolutely. That was the plan YelloThumbUp

andym

Real men are fanatics
I think you're going to be better off buying a truck locally and robbing what you need from it. It will be cheaper in the long run and I think a lot less hassle.

andym

Real men are fanatics
HEY!

Pig.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I agree with Andy.

And that is hard to admit. :D
I've been watching for trucks locally for MONTHS and nothing has come up that will suit my needs. Plus I've got nowhere to store the parts truck while I'm working on it, my mom WILL NOT let me keep it at her house. For $850 shipped, it's cheaper to buy this package. All the parts trucks in Cali are at least around $1000 anyways and normally they've got TONS of miles. If the claimed 68k miles + 2-3k mile clutch is true, this trans should be in pretty good shape.

I'm gonna keep riding this one and see what becomes of it.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
If all else fails, do you have a local junkyard you can use to gather extra parts that you may need?

andym

Real men are fanatics
Yeah, there's a pretty decent pick n pull near here.

Chris, what about keeping it at your buddy's up the street?

andym

Real men are fanatics
Is this a forum thread or a chatroom? :)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
If I buy this guys package deal -- extra expenses:

-starter
-flywheel
-lengthen rear driveshaft
-possibly floor pan hump (if I can't modify mine)
-clutch pedal assembly

Am I forgetting anything?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Does that have the coecentric slave or the external one? Either way, you might want to consider buying new.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
He said the slave cylinder was is new.

guy with zf said:
the transmission is still in a working truck, the steering column is messed up but I can get it started and they can drive it. the tranny is not in the original truck it came in the truck it came out of only had about 60-70,xxx miles on it if I remember correctly. it is filled with sythetic fluid and has a new slave cylinder and a new throwout bearing.

andym

Real men are fanatics
It should be a concentric slave. I would still replace it - the cheap ones are known to fail and it's a pain to change it.

Are you sure the starters are different? I checked the part numbers for both engines at rockauto.com.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Yes. He may have bought a cheap unit, and once they are open and get moisture in them, sometimes that makes them one step closer to failing. If it was external, I would say no, but since it means pulling the tranny, I'd replace it with a high quality unit.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Would be worth asking him which slave bought for it? Are there specific brand names to look for? If I were to buy it, could I tell if it was a good or bad one by looking at it?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I dunno. Ask him if he has a reciept. If it is from a good parts store, then maybe take the chance.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts