Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My new ride....1970

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Didn't Steven just go through this process?????

I know what you mean about that winch plate making a handy step. I've got a 76 high boy with 35" tires on it, getting under the hood to work on it is tough, if I'm doing much I just let the air out of the front tires then fill them back up when I'm done. I'm 6'2" tall, and the top of the radiator is about nipple high on me...

I use the step I made for my holiday trailer when working on the truck.

It has 2 steps and the top platform so no chance of falling off it

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
As promised, here's some pics I took of my new rig, which I'm falling in love with more and more each time I drive it....love it.

IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_03231.JPG

IMG_03221.JPG

IMG_0320.JPG

IMG_0321.JPG

IMG_0330.JPG

IMG_0332.JPG

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0336.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

IMG00062-20110425-0955_2_.jpg

IMG00065-20110425-1233.jpg

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Nice pictures Ken. I know the feeling of passion when it comes to something older like that.:)

Thanks...I fall more and more in love with this rig every time I drive it.

Do people keep back 500 feet?

Ummm.............................NO! But it doesn't hurt to ask. smilieFordlogo

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I'd be temped to keep and or redo the tagging/signage.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Like button...

However, ditch those Thornbirds, outside of looking pretty cool they're useless.

Yeah, I hear ya Ben....they're rough to ride on and according to the PO, they can't keep this rig on the road in snow.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Yeah...I dunno why Interco still produces the Thornbird. I suppose they're marketing to the high school kids that want a cool looking tire that's cheap so they can go play in the greasy top soil. Honestly man, I usually don't dog the tire, rather the driver in the instance of inclimate weather, but I wouldn't feel safe in a rig with thornturds even in the rain. Not to mention, I've known guys who have had them and those pretty little lugs like to disintegrate from time to time...well guess what happens when a 2lb chunk of rubber makes contact with sheet metal at 70mph. Seriously, not trying to be a paranoid alarmist, but I wouldn't roll around on those tires much longer if it were my rig.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
^^^Yeah...I dunno why Interco still produces the Thornbird. I suppose they're marketing to the high school kids that want a cool looking tire that's cheap so they can go play in the greasy top soil. Honestly man, I usually don't dog the tire, rather the driver in the instance of inclimate weather, but I wouldn't feel safe in a rig with thornturds even in the rain. Not to mention, I've known guys who have had them and those pretty little lugs like to disintegrate from time to time...well guess what happens when a 2lb chunk of rubber makes contact with sheet metal at 70mph. Seriously, not trying to be a paranoid alarmist, but I wouldn't roll around on those tires much longer if it were my rig.

You hit it right on the head (as usual)....it was the kid who wanted something cool looking that sounded loud....but I was thinking the same thing you were....those big chunks of rubber are going to come off eventually!

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Little late Ken, but congrats on the purchase. Is it legal to keep the fire dept logo on the side? If so, like Austin, I would keep the logos.

How about black wheels with a small red trim ring around the inside.

It even looks like the emergency brake still works!

Nice Truck,Ken.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Little late Ken, but congrats on the purchase. Is it legal to keep the fire dept logo on the side? If so, like Austin, I would keep the logos.

How about black wheels with a small red trim ring around the inside.

It even looks like the emergency brake still works!

Nice Truck,Ken.

Ha....thanks! Everything on this rig is original to when it was first made in 1970.....everything. Pretty wild.

I did check into the legalities of the logos and all is well there....they wouldn't allow any of the lights, so that had to be taken off....sucked because there are holes in the roof where the fire lights were mounted that just have some caulking in it for now. The FD also had a heavy duty custom rack that they took off before selling because of legal issues.

The black wheels you describe sound pretty cool. Most people are going for the white and I've seen some pics of some older rigs with white wheels that look really good, so I'm leaning towards that. The original wheels that were on it, were also passed on to me as the kid PO put his own on there with those dumb thornbirds Ben was talking about above.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Pants......

Getting........

Tight........

How about white wheels with the red ring around the edge of that? That's look hot...or red beauty rings....

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Pants......

Getting........

Tight........

How about white wheels with the red ring around the edge of that? That's look hot...or red beauty rings....

That sounds good,too. We need to get some pressure off of Junior's pants..........!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Pants......

Getting........

Tight........

Hahahaha!!!!!!!! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm........interesting.....wonder if we could get some pictures of that.....don't know if that would look too corny, you know?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts