Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My new ride....1970

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
wht about some alumimum slot wheels? truck looks good

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Great story on the purchase!

The reason i said white is because I don't think the chrome on the truck would look good at all with black wheels. I'm not much of a black wheel guy, but it looks more proper if there isn't chrome (like on a modern FX4 or STX truck).

Ryan

Wow, what a sweet truck! I don't think I've seen a '70 grill in that condition around here for at least 20 years, let alone a truck that low mileage. I agree w/ Ben on the wheels, some chrome cheapies (spokes or modular) or white. I'm not a big fan of black either.

What's the steel plate coming out from under the bumper, a winch plate?
Congrats, Awsome truck!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Wow, what a sweet truck! I don't think I've seen a '70 grill in that condition around here for at least 20 years, let alone a truck that low mileage. I agree w/ Ben on the wheels, some chrome cheapies (spokes or modular) or white. I'm not a big fan of black either.

What's the steel plate coming out from under the bumper, a winch plate?
Congrats, Awsome truck!

Hey thanks....yeah, I can't wait to take more shots of the underneath and show you fellas, there's absolutely no rust on the frame....the huge iron plate (which by the way, is welded to the frame and only bolted to the front leaf springs) was for a massive winch. I thought about putting another one on there for looks, but for what I'm going to be using it for (tooling around town in the winter in 4wd, a little bit of work stuff) I'd rather have the clean look on the front of this rig. It makes for a great step ladder though when I'm messing with the engine bay.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Yep, thats what i have on my 78 also, I think they look great on the older trucks

I've see a few now with the white wheels and am now so curious that I just want to do it white just to see what it would look like. After tax season, that's project #1.....would also like to line the bed to protect it for quick project #2.

I've see a few now with the white wheels and am now so curious that I just want to do it white just to see what it would look like. After tax season, that's project #1.....would also like to line the bed to protect it for quick project #2.

it might look pretty good with white wagons, idk. Ya, i have to line my bed also. I bought the whole kit with rollers and all for $50 to do the bed. Herculiner, it was on sale. Just waiting till the weather is better to do it.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
it might look pretty good with white wagons, idk. Ya, i have to line my bed also. I bought the whole kit with rollers and all for $50 to do the bed. Herculiner, it was on sale. Just waiting till the weather is better to do it.

That's not bad....I like buying stuff from Eastwood's and they have something similar for about $55, but they said most truck beds would require two applications ($110).

What do you prep it with? Do you sand? Use any chemicals? I know Eastwood sells some of the rust prevention stuff that I might use first. Any thoughts on that?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Some sanding to rough it up... some special pre-application stuff (usually brand specific) then roll away!

That's not bad....I like buying stuff from Eastwood's and they have something similar for about $55, but they said most truck beds would require two applications ($110).

What do you prep it with? Do you sand? Use any chemicals? I know Eastwood sells some of the rust prevention stuff that I might use first. Any thoughts on that?

Like i said, I got the kit but im waiting on good weather to put the liner in. I know for sure that it will need to be as clean as possible. I will probably wash it out real good at the car wash and then clean it up with mineral spirits. I may sand also, I will if the directions suggest it. I think the liner is already for rust prevention, you may not need that other stuff. and ya my kit came with one gallon and on the back of the box says that for a long bed, I will need another quart, which is like $20.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
would also like to line the bed to protect it for quick project #2.

If it were me, I'd probably prime it with POR15 and then coat it with Scott's stuff. Probably alot more than you're wanting to spend, but I bet that bed will survive a good long time.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
If it were me, I'd probably prime it with POR15 and then coat it with Scott's stuff. Probably alot more than you're wanting to spend, but I bet that bed will survive a good long time.

Thanks Ben....the survival of the bed is more important to me than money as this guy will be in the elements it's whole life and need to protect it best I can.

What about the bed rails....seems to have gotten roughed up....how to I prevent rusting there without messing with the original paint?

I'm also thinking of doing some undercoating and bought a bunch of stuff through Eastwoods. This thing will be driving through all the salt infested roads up here.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I'm begging you not to make this a winter beater.

Ryan

I don't know if I'd call it a winter beater...depends on your definition.....I bought it so I wouldn't have to use my show truck in the winter....I want this to be a sort of winter driver for me...I don't have a commute like most people, so I'll only put a few thousand miles on it a year. I also want something I can haul something in if I want to help a friend move something.

I'm certainly not going to restore this thing......engine is great, doesn't smoke or burn, frame is solid....a bunch of scratches....right side is dented a tad, not bad though.....interior is ok.....maybe just some tunes....has original am/fm stereo in it now.

I think with normal maintenance and minimal body work here and there, this rig could last me 20-30 years and still look straight and as clean (maybe not that clean, but pretty close) as it is today....that's my hope with it.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I'd keep an eye on the seem at the top of the "bump" where its welded together, inside ond out . . They rust there.

How do you prevent that?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts