Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My new ride....1970

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
That thing would be so much fun in the swamp! I guess that's not your intention for the truck though!

What kind of tires were they?

Thanks!

Yeah....I want to use it as a driver in the winter months up here....wanted the 4WD and had to have a gen 5 or 6 as those are my favorite Fords.

They were 35" Thornbirds. Pretty meaty/knobby tires.....the ones on there now suit me 10x's better for what I want. smilieFordlogo

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Red Wheels....

Before:
33s_on_it.jpg

After
red_wheels_whole_truck.jpg

IMG00121-20110619-1948.jpg

I was going to paint them white, but after I received this red rust encapsulator spray paint from eastwoods, I thought it might look better since the truck isn't show or anything....she's a little rough on the body and didn't know if the white would look to flashy while the rest of the rig is more work like.

The prep took the longest as I bet it always will. I took an electric drill and wire attachment and sanded them down. Then I took the pressure washer to it. Then taped the hubs and the tire and went to town with the spray paint. I put two coats on it.

I didn't cover the brakes behind it as I didn't care about that much detail....if there are some black spots when I drive it, I'll just spray that if I want.

Next up is the bed liner!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That red actually looks alot better than I thought it would...probably better than the white would have.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
That red actually looks alot better than I thought it would...probably better than the white would have.

Looks pretty good Ken. It reminds me of the old red lead paint.

Looks good matches the truck well.

Thanks guys.....My wife and I thought it came out better than we initially thought it would and now looking at it, we also think white wouldn't look good on this old work truck. That red is what I'm going to do for the frame and the axles.
smilieFordlogo

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That looks great Ken!

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Looks nice Ken. Now, go out and get some degreaser for your tires! :D

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Looks nice Ken. Now, go out and get some degreaser for your tires! :D

Haha.....I know, I know......was wondering if someone was going to comment on those greasy tires....it would look a lot better with them cleaned up, even a little.

Someone told me a scrub brush, water, and some ajax does miracles on tires. Ever heard this?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Haha.....I know, I know......was wondering if someone was going to comment on those greasy tires....it would look a lot better with them cleaned up, even a little.

Someone told me a scrub brush, water, and some ajax does miracles on tires. Ever heard this?

:D

Haven't heard of using Ajax but I'm sure it will get the job done. I use a degreaser because you can literally watch it remove and lift the dirt out. I used it on my dent when I got it & it surprised me!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

I just use Westley's Bleche-White and a scrub brush. Then hose them down. Then dry, then add some tire shine.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I think it came out great...I'm a little worried that I left too many tiny little air bubbles in it.....I've heard of spraying windex on it before putting it on...ever heard of this before?

Anyways....I like it.

IMG00156-20110704-1129.jpg

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
There is no problem in carrying gas cans in the truck bed. When you fill them you have to take them out and set them on the ground first. Open, fill, close replace in bed.

I believe the issue comes from filling them in the bed...

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Spray soapy water and use a wide plastic putty knife or credit card to work out the bubbles. Are these the static adhered stickers? If so, you can remove and retry.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Spray soapy water and use a wide plastic putty knife or credit card to work out the bubbles. Are these the static adhered stickers? If so, you can remove and retry.

no they are vinyl... no removing and retrying...

i've always just poked a ever so tiny hole in the air bubble and just smoothed it out.. but you have to be careful, it may cause a wrinkle if you are cautious..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts