Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

General Dentside Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK,FYI: List of things that my truck needs:
  • Steering Gear Box
  • Brake Master Cylinder.
  • A functioning Carburetor...
As far as cost wise;It would most likely be the same or just a bit more...
I have 27 Dollars,I'M saving up too buy a good used edlebrok(I spelled it wrong) carburetor.
Also my truck does NOT have shoulder belts...

--With all do respect;
-Anthony-
--76SCS--

have all that stuff but shipping alone is more than $27

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
have all that stuff but shipping alone is more than $27

I second that...but I'd be willing to part with a 360 carb for no cost, a new MC is only about $20, and steering box...well mine would have to be rebuilt. But shipping would be around $100 for that stuff from here to Cali. Maybe a Mod can shift this to the WTB sticky?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
o and started up the truck today and recorded it BUT.. apparently it is to loud for my cam the sound is horrible :(

Well...if that's the case, a video that is just as good is...driving by snobby rich folk cars...and setting off the car alarms...hahahaha. One of my favorite ways to blow off steam...here on campus we have parking on both sides of one way streets...so hit WOT (up to the limit of course, 35mph) and listen to those alarms go off.

Do you apologize to your truck when you do something that may have hurt its feelings?

ie:place your foot on the door to close it (because you are carrying4 cases of beer) and it ends up slamming shut

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I would never disgrace my truck by putting my foot on it. Hell, I don't even like anyone hanging their arm out the window. But everytime I walk by her in the garage...I give her a kiss on the hood.

Is it just me...or does it seriously piss you off when someone startes leaning on your truck. It doesn't matter to me if it's a junker or Red...that's mine, get the effe off it.

76f350spercamprspeal

Known By all-*-76SCS-*-
You know what else ticks me off everyone assumes that since its "Classic" that you need to slam the doors...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I agree with that Anthony...with my doors, all you have to do is set them against the striker, and push on it and it will properly latch. I don't want my weather stripping wearing out prematurely, and hell I don't need my door panels off yet, so stop slamming my doors...haha

76f350spercamprspeal

Known By all-*-76SCS-*-
Well it won't matter on the '76 cause he is gonna get a frame off restore some-time before I die,but Its a bad habit and its rude,if I rode in your beautiful truck,I would not slam the doors...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Anybody running an aftermarket overdrive in a dentside? Or swapped an overdrive trans in?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Not me...wanna throw a GV unit in Red...But I don't have the $2500ish for it yet. The way I see it, an OD unit in a dentside really isn't a cost effective upgrade unless you plan on keeping the rig a really long time or put serious miles on your rig. There are E4OD adapters out there, but between the adapter, stand alone computer and trans cost, you're looking at about 2500-3000 for that route. However, the GV unit is a pretty easy swap...Stacey David did it on Trucks (or maybe his new show Gearz)...and looked pretty bad azz.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
What about a ZF-5, or some other modern manual? Not sure whether it would work out any cheaper/easier or not. Guess most of the work would be the same (crossmember mods, driveshafts, new hole in the floor?) but the cost of parts might vary. Or maybe not...rebuilt transmissions without cores aren't cheap, either. Might come down to which you'd rather drive. (Or it may be that getting the modern transmissions adapted to fit the older engines would be more expense or hassle than it's worth- I don't know.)

"Cost effective" and "worth it" might be very different things, too. From where I live, if I head more than about 20 miles in any direction (lot less than that in most directions, actually) I'll end up using a road where I put my Ranger into overdrive. [confused]

76f350spercamprspeal

Known By all-*-76SCS-*-
Also I'M kinda bored and if you want to add me to your IM list go on ahead:
Yahoo iD: [email protected]
Aol iD: [email protected]
MSN iD: [email protected]
------------------------------------------------------------------
If this is against the rules,go on ahead and remove this post...
Thanks Again!:)
--Anthony--
--*76SCS*--

What made me post the ? was I was watching a commercial and the woman shut the door to her car with her foot ..then apologized and wiped off the foot imprint.

I have accidently done things to me truck and I apologized right away.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
my video is on the youtubes

Looks good, and there's a bit near the end where the sound seems to pick up OK (when you're near the RF fender), and that sounded pretty good.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ian...I do know that there have been guys to adapt the ZF...dunno if anyone here has though. To me, in this case at least, 'cost effective' and 'worth it' do mean the same thing...I mean, if it will take you 5-10 years to offset the cost of buying the OD or manual unit (at an increase of 2 mpg) are you going to have the truck that long to see the effects? In my case with Red, yes it would be worth it, the Bronco...maybe not so much. So like I said earlier, if you plan on keeping the truck, or drive 20-30,000 miles a year in that rig...then yes, it is cost effective...thusly worth it. In most other cases, where a guy buys a beater as a throw away work truck, do a restore and never drive the truck, or in the rust belt where the truck won't last that long...I just really don't see the point.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
And I'm looking at it from the perspective of:

cost-effective= lowest cost way for me to get where I need to go, and do what I need to do with a vehicle

and

worth it= I'm happy with what I get, and what I spent to get it

2 mpg is one thing...but I hate listening to screamin' engines. It's tough to put a monetary value on my being happier while I'm driving...but that certainly factors into the "worth it" question, in my book.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Good point...well I guess if dropping your rpm by 30% and turning a C6 into a 6 speed (essentially) then I guess it's well worth it.

As for cost effective...well since it's not a need, and you already get where you wanna go...and this is more of a long term investment...then I guess it's really not that cost effective.

76f350spercamprspeal

Known By all-*-76SCS-*-
on a un-related note:
Check out my SCS bed! :D
IMG00123.jpg

IMG00121.jpg

IMG00119.jpg

IMG00118-1.jpg

IMG00116-1.jpg

-1xzp-1.jpg

IMG00114-1.jpg

3xz--1.jpg