Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

DNFXDLI's 79 F150 Build Part1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Did more cleaning/prepping today...kind of made a grim discovery...at one point I would guess a bearing failure in the pinion as the case has a nice gouge in it. The front pinion bearing is a non OEM type and the race is galled. The ring gear looks original looking at the stamping on it and didn't get damaged. I'm thinking that it happened at low speed and the owner at the time stopped right away.
Going to go and pick up the transmission case tomorrow as well to start cleaning it up.

Pinion race:

79_truck_0088.JPG

Bearing:

79_truck_0096.JPG

Fits the ring gear nicely :D

79_truck_0107.JPG

The 205 is easily capable of handling that kind of power...and with that converter, driveline shock load should be minimal...don't forget, I'm only going to run a 31''-32'' tire...no bigger.

The 1980 CJ-7 I had , had a 300 transfer case. Its similer to the 205. It handled the Chevy 350 & muncie 465 that I put in it just fine. I did spin axles, spun up both drive shafts and broke in two, broke several yokes.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Got the transmission case back, started to clean up the case castings:

79_truck_0028.JPG

79_truck_0034.JPG

79_truck_0127.JPG

79_truck_01310.JPG

Damn crappy castings...got pieces flaking off, but best to catch it now before powdercoating:

79_truck_0153.JPG

Still cleaning up the axles:

79_truck_0046.JPG

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Last edited:

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Quad 4x4 is a nice place to deal with. I've had good luck with them. Your powder coater should be giving you a heck of a deal with all the stuff you are coating. When you get this truck together, you'll have to do a write up and submit it to a 4x4 magazine or something. Can't say it enough, this is a heck of a build and should be recognized. Off topic a bit, but have you or anyone else ever used a DIY powder coat process. I've thought about getting a small oven and one of those eastwood kits for small parts like brackets and what not.

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks Buck...I just want to get the truck as perfect as I can. I haven't heard of anyone that I know taking the DIY approach to powdercoating, it seems to get sent out to be done.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Is there an easy way to fill those casting holes ?

Harbor Frieght has some inexpensive powder coating supplies. It would be a cheap way to see how it would work.

there arent Harbor Freights in Caniduh..... lol..... they have Princess Auto's

EDIT: thought you were talking to D...

Last edited:
fixed it

Off topic a bit, but have you or anyone else ever used a DIY powder coat process. I've thought about getting a small oven and one of those eastwood kits for small parts like brackets and what not.

Harbor Frieght has some inexpensive powder coating supplies. It would be a cheap way to see how it would work.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I have filed/dremeled/grinded most of the casting holes away.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Dosn't that thin out the case ?

Maybe a tiny bit, but most of the imperfections have been very shallow or simply extensionso of the mold in the casting process. There is one however that is on the top just below where the converter would go that has an actual crack inside which was factory ground...I will be having that TIG'd up just in case although it's been like that since day one.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Interesting Mark!. Got the case done to the point to take it to the powdercoat place. Degreased the transfer case reasonably well, going to go drop that off so I can get the case back for grinding as well.

79_Truck_00114.JPG

79_Truck_0029.JPG

79_Truck_0035.JPG

79_Truck_0047.JPG

79_Truck_0057.JPG

79_Truck_0068.JPG

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
It's slowly all coming together
I have some of those aluminum repair rods I picked them up at Carlilse car show.
They work great have used them to repair many different things.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks lads...still have a bit more left on the case. Picking up the frame in the morning and dropping off the case to get that little crack TIG'd up. I did look at that repair rod that was mentioned, but I would just rather go the TIG route.
Quad4x4 has got all the bearings and seals together now for both front and rear axles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts