Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

DNFXDLI's 79 F150 Build Part1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Picked up the frame and dropped off the transmission case and rear diff. Started to sand/grind the frame edges:

79_Truck_0077.JPG

79_Truck_0108.JPG

79_Truck_0089.JPG

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Duncan now I feel much better. I thought I was the only one that smoothed edges and was so detailed in my work. What takes a average person a hour to do a simple job takes me 5 or 6 because everything has to be just right.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Duncan now I feel much better. I thought I was the only one that smoothed edges and was so detailed in my work. What takes a average person a hour to do a simple job takes me 5 or 6 because everything has to be just right.

Isn't being anal retentive great? :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yes it is. Do it right once and you don't have to fix it again a few days later.

Words to live by Randy!...and there seems to be a lack of that in this day and age.

Exactly. I was considered slow by my co-workers when I worked in the automotive industry. My co-workers just didn't get it.

That is why will keep this a hobby.

Anyway... Carry on. You do good work, like I've said. :p

This truck is going to be a stunner.

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That was part of the reason Mark, but more for the powdercoating.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Started to scrape off all the old undercoating which is a PITA, don't want to put it in the oven as it will be a nightmare and didn't want to sandblast it into the metal...so much manual labor later, it is getting closer.
Discovered that there are some pretty good marks in the rails from the forming of them, so it's looking like I will take the frame to the powdercoaters..get them to put it in the oven...then take it back for sandblasting myself...then fix up the welds and finish the frame sanding/grinding...then take it back to the place the powdercoater uses for sandblasting so they can have it done to their satisfaction...then finally to the powdercoaters.

79_Truck_0058.JPG

79_Truck_00810.JPG

79_Truck_0146.JPG

79_Truck_0128.JPG

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Your work gives me wood.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
After more speaks with the powder place, I am going to take the frame to a DIY sandblast place as this scraping sucks and is taking forever.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Shoulda bought a bigger blast cabinet...haha. How's the saying go...work smarter, not harder. Curious though, why did you even start by hand?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'd bet a soda blaster would melt it away

Maybe...but I won't be trying.

^^^Shoulda bought a bigger blast cabinet...haha. How's the saying go...work smarter, not harder. Curious though, why did you even start by hand?

Because I really didn't think there was that much of it...I was very wrong!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Went to the sandblast place today, went very well...took 2 hours to do the frame and a bunch of ther stuff. I rented 2 stations so my buddy could do the parts as I needed someone there to help me unload the frame.

P5090373.jpg

P5090371.jpg

P5090374.jpg

Radius arms started, grinding away the casting marks:

79_Truck_0048.JPG

79_Truck_0097.JPG

That looks like the place I used to go to.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
It's Consolidated over on 40th Street by the bulk depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts