Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

DNFXDLI's 79 F150 Build Part1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
First off...what's that white stuff on the ground?????:wasntme:

Secondly...I can't remember and am too lazy to look, but is there anything that needs to be done with the bed floor or inner bed panles? Nicks, dents, rust, etc.?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
First off...smilietease
Secondly, no rust period and minor scuffs etc. The entire truck including the box will be soda blasted and I am going to paint the box instead of bedliner.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Truck of the decade? Are you staying with the original gas tank, or are you going bigger?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Staying with the original tank Doug...with the FI, I should be able to get at least 15mpg which will be more than adequate for what I am going to do with it.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
On a roll...tomorrow the transmission gets taken in.

Duncan , I have a question. What happens to powder coat when you put two PC'ed surfaces together, and bolt the parts down so tight it flexes the steel ?
Does the PC flex with it or does it crack like a porcelain would ?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
It will flex and not crack.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Dropped off the transmission, should have the case back back Monday...then will bring home grind the flashings off so the case is smooth then take it for powdercoating...at the same time I will take the diffs to get the oil cooked off them.
Not 100% decided on 11 or 12'' converter.
Edit....also, after having more speaks with the powdercoat place...the new spring packs will be disassembled and coated one leaf at a time.

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Just finished talking with the transmission guy...he was amazed at the condition of the transmission...said it looked new although it is in fact the original unmolested unit which he confirmed.
Converter will be an 11'' and Transgo Dash 2 shift kit.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Awesome. What made you decide to go with the 11" instead of the 12" TC?

Just finished talking with the transmission guy...he was amazed at the condition of the transmission...said it looked new although it is in fact the original unmolested unit which he confirmed.
Converter will be an 11'' and Transgo Dash 2 shift kit.

Had it ever been serviced ?

bigdance finally made a decision on the tc. !

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Awesome. What made you decide to go with the 11" instead of the 12" TC?

In a couple of words....more fun. The truck is not going to see offroading and in the odd case that I did, it would be in 4 LO right away to keep the revs up.

Had it ever been serviced ?

bigdance finally made a decision on the tc. !

Filter and fluid changes.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Started to take apart the diff's yesterday:

Gears dated 1978:

79_truck_00112.JPG

Took a bit pf prying, but the carrier popped right out:

79_truck_0095.JPG

79_truck_0105.JPG

That blob of fresh grease was on the backside of the race...I'm amazed at the condition of everything:

79_truck_0117.JPG

Bearings had practically zero wear, all Timken units and will be replaced by same:

79_truck_0125.JPG

Seals didn't have any signs of leakage...no oil in axle tubes:

79_truck_0138.JPG

Popped the seals out with a piece of dowel, took a good couple of hits with a deadblow:

79_truck_0185.JPG

Pinion bearing had very little wear:

79_truck_0215.JPG

No wear on pinion gear:

79_truck_0237.JPG

Started on the rear end:

79_truck_0345.JPG

79_truck_0355.JPG

79_truck_0363.JPG

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
:rofl: :rofl: It is Chris...I should have just regasketed a few things and driven it......:headbang:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts