Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

DNFXDLI's 79 F150 Build Part1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Lots of progress !

Looks like they sell both types of concrete up there in Canada too.:headbang:

79_truck_0086.JPG

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sure is coming along Dman. I know things keep getting pushed back, but do you have a time frame you'd like to get this thing done by?

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
It's fun tearing things apart, but wait until you start putting back together and how much more fun that is. Everything is looking great. This restore has got to be the most anticipated restore yet.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Timeframe Ben????...last summer is when I wanted it done by :D. I'm just taking it day by day it's been too damn cold for loading it/transporting it to the body shop.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Spent yesterday looking after some details, frame is now 100% stripped (as far as it is going), front fender trim off, rear bumper disassembled , same as the rad support.
79_Truck_0293.JPG

79_Truck_0307.JPG

79_Truck_0323.JPG

The insane duty hitch that I'm pretty sure the truck would twist in half before it did. The guy welded to the original bumper brackets, so I might have to locate some.

79_Truck_0362.JPG

79_Truck_0374.JPG

79_Truck_0382.JPG

79_Truck_0413.JPG

Rad support stripped:

79_Truck_069.JPG

Some prior owner added an transmission cooler and welded a piece of metal to the center support..I figured a new one would be much easier than farting around trying to grind the old one off:

79_Truck_071.JPG

Fender trim stripped, I was surprised how much dirt and pine needles were trapped under the trim:

79_Truck_0811.JPG

So as it sits now, it is ready to be taken to the body shop...which weather/work dependant might be 1 week to 1 month.

My frame dosn't have the boxed in area with the 3 large holes behind the front cross member.
edit: after looking at your frame more, it might be boxed to support where the coil spring would twist the frame.

Making some great progress Duncan

Last edited:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
It would be a very nice Christmas present for all of us if you have this done by Dec 25! I can't wait.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks Mark, the frame is like that on both sides..I'm guessing it is for the shock/coil spring mounts for reinforcement. Now I gotta figure out the logistics of getting the rest of the stuff done...axles to be stripped, then taken to powdercoat place to get the oil/grease burnt off..then rear axle down to place to get checked...then back to the powdercoat place...then both to the axle place for assembly. Engine to machine shop...then to powdercoat place, then back to machine shop...there is going to be some driving!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
It would be a very nice Christmas present for all of us if you have this done by Dec 25! I can't wait.

I'd like that as well Doug...we will see...I've been doing some adding up...
Paint 10k
Powdercoat etc. 5k
Axles 3k
Rims/tires 1-1.5k
Transmission 2.5k
Machine shop 1.5k
Upholstery etc. 2k
Exhaust/headers 1.5k
Ugh...I can see another 30k before this episode is over...:rofl: :rofl:

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Adds up quick. Keep in mind though, you are making one of the elite in trucks when all said and done keeping up with detail and everything you are doing. Having everything stripped down to nothing and having everything powdercoated instead of painted adds up, but you are doing things right the first time. Your build makes me want to redo mine that's for. Where I painted mine, I'd sure liked to have power coated. Your sure have alot of patience with your build. I couldn't wait to get mine done and toward the end I was thinking, I just want to get it put together and mess with the find stuff later. Just yesterday, I noticed a brake line bracket than I didn't even paint. I need to take it back off and paint it.

I just keep looking forward to all the progress.

Your working conditions makes me jealous. :)

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks Buck...and if I was doing this 20 years ago, it's unlikely I would have this kind of patience!...yes, the working conditions are kinda rough :D

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
You've mentioned it I'm sure, but rather than me reading through the thread again which I don't mind, what are your plans for your tranny. I see you've added up 2.5K. Are you going with an OD?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
No, keeping the C6
R code servo
Gear change from 2.46/1.46 to 2.72/1.54
Transgo shift kit
Custom made converter ~2200 stall
Different clutches
Deep pan
That's about it..the gear change should give me increased acceleration while still maintaining a good cruise rpm with 3.50's.

Edit...the guy will be stripping the guts out of the transmission..I will take the case home and clean/dress it (grind/file) down the casting marks..then get it powdercoated then return it to him for assembly.

Last edited:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Maybe you should keep that hitch in case you want to move your house or something.

I can look for some bumper brackets next month for you if you want. Are they pretty much all the same?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Maybe you should keep that hitch in case you want to move your house or something.

I can look for some bumper brackets next month for you if you want. Are they pretty much all the same?

Bwahaha...but zero towing with this truck, we decided to keep the 350 for that.
Thanks for the offer..I will let you know!, and I'm pretty sure they are the same although maybe the hiboy ones are different :confused: I'm going to investigate how much of a PITA it will be to gring off the existing welds as well.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I can look for some bumper brackets next month for you if you want.

Are they pretty much all the same?
Absolutely not!
1979 F150 Styleside pickup w/factory installed step bumper:

1) D3TZ-17787-B .. Right Inner Bracket

1) D3TZ-17788-B .. Left Inner Bracket

Both fit Stylesides: 1978/79 F100/350 with a step bumper except with step bumpers used on 1978/79 F350's on the 140" wheelbase.

1973/79 F350 140" wheelbase with a contoured rear bumper.
-----------------------------------------------------------
1) D3TZ-17795-A .. Right Outer Bracket.

1) D3TZ-17796-A .. Left Outer Bracket

Both fit Stylesides: 1973/77 F250/350 on the 139" & 155" wheelbases-Use with step bumper.

1978/79 F100/350 with a step bumper except with step bumpers used on 1978/79 F350's on the 140" wheelbase.

Confusing, ain't it? Lookin' this jazz up in the parts catalog, then finding the correct applications for the brackets...is a confusing PITA. I kid you not!

Besides these correct brackets, there are FOUR other right/left inner brackets and TWO other right/left outer brackets that are not the same.

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thank you Bill! YelloThumbUp :beer:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Well let me know. Wnen I make next junkyard trip I will look for some. Just let me know what ones you need from Bill's info.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I'd like that as well Doug...we will see...I've been doing some adding up...
Paint 10k

I can do ya an Austin special single stage! With emphasis on special! smilietease

Coming along though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles