Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

66 Mercury Build Thread

Got a little done on Saturday, didn't spend too much time with it though. Four hours went into cleaning the 2000' to look her best for the sale.

My dad is not very impressed with how this looks beside the house! :hammer:
Picture006.jpg

Someone figured they didn't need two shocks...
Picture007-1.jpg

Last edited:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Got a little done on Saturday, didn't spend too much time with it though. Four hours went into cleaning the 2000' to look her best for the sale.

My dad is not very impressed with how this looks beside the house! :hammer:
Picture006.jpg

Someone figured they didn't need two shocks...
Picture007-1.jpg

Everything looks nice and tidy.....it's not like trash, oil and junk are spewed everywhere....:wasntme:

You going to clean up/paint the frame? Eastwood has some pretty cool rust conversion and encapsulate products I'm using on my bump without having to sand blast.

Thanks, I try to keep the area fairly organized and well kept, but my dad think's we need to look "proper" in front of the neighbors. What a joke... :headbang:

I am going to sandblast the frame and coat it with some sort of chassis paint. I am having a tough time deciding on what to use because Eastwood, POR-15 and Rust Bullet all have products. I need to do some more research first. I am thinking about blasting the bottom side of the cab and bed as well, but I'm not sure on that yet.

I could not bear the thought of putting new parts on a rust old chassis!

That bump of yours is one mean lookin truck!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Thanks, I try to keep the area fairly organized and well kept, but my dad think's we need to look "proper" in front of the neighbors. What a joke... :headbang:

I am going to sandblast the frame and coat it with some sort of chassis paint. I am having a tough time deciding on what to use because Eastwood, POR-15 and Rust Bullet all have products. I need to do some more research first. I am thinking about blasting the bottom side of the cab and bed as well, but I'm not sure on that yet.

Thanks.....that bump is a freakin' tank....looking forward to seeing your rig's progress.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous

You could sandblast a couple of the neighbors while you're at it. :wasntme:

Shocks?? We don't need no stinking shocks.

Thanks for all the comment's guys, I do appreciate them! Helps me stay motivated :)

I'll be back in December, have a great summer everyone!

Not to much progress on this thing lately, but I have been getting into it more recently...

Project has been toned down a lot, I felt that the money I would have put into the truck wouldn't be worth it, and I have been thinking about bible school lately, so I need to save my pennies. Right now I will go through a mechanical restoration with some drive train upgrades to handle the 466. I still plan to race it.

Have begun painting some stuff. Third member has a couple coats of red oxide primer and will see a couple more coats of Rustoleum/Tremclad rust paint. I am mixing flat and semi-gloss black to give me the finish I am after.

Picture002-1.jpg

Picture005-2.jpg

Thanks for looking!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Cool Derek, that was the same kind of color I was after,they called it vulcan black.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Something is dead sexy about that cab sitting alone on the frame. :D

Project is no longer in progress. God has called me to more important things in life, so hopefully the Merc. will be back in 10 years or so!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Are you just going to hang on to the rig in the meantime?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Project is no longer in progress. God has called me to more important things in life, so hopefully the Merc. will be back in 10 years or so!

Good luck with your endeavors man.

Thanks for the encouragement! I am parking the truck in a barn about 25 minutes from home for now... I'll hang onto it until the day comes (hopefully) that I can pick this project up again.

I just thought about how I'll probably be 30 (or older!) before I touch it again... Weird!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks for the encouragement! I am parking the truck in a barn about 25 minutes from home for now... I'll hang onto it until the day comes (hopefully) that I can pick this project up again.

I just thought about how I'll probably be 30 (or older!) before I touch it again... Weird!

If I'm not being too nosey, unless I missed something, I thought all I saw was that God had different plans for you...care if I ask what those plans are that'll take 10 years???

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
If I'm not being too nosey, unless I missed something, I thought all I saw was that God had different plans for you...care if I ask what those plans are that'll take 10 years???

I was curious as well, just not as brave and bold as Ben to ask. :wasntme:

That whole 10 years deal was just my stab at when I could pick this project up... I would sure like to finish it one day, but I guess I can't really say...

I have been looking into bible school lately, and have done a lot of thinking about my future/family that may one day come together. I don't feel like dumping 20K+ into the truck was the smartest decision I could make right now, and would rather use the money towards growing my relationship with God and providing a good home for the family that might one day be.

I've been growing stronger in my Faith.. I have been idle for far to long, and I'm trying to follow what I believe God wants for me, and not what I want for myself. I've felt guilty this entire project, because I always felt like someone was telling me to stop.

Ford Truck Articles