Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

66 Mercury Build Thread

i thought you would... you gonna use a floor shifter like Jurgen has? or you gonna gonna have it stock style column shift that way if people are looking in, they dont think anything is out of the ordinary?

I am going to have a small center console bent up for a floor shifter, and it's going to bolt to the trans tunnel cover. I think a roll cage will be a dead give away anyway! Really wish I didn't have to run a cage! Safety first, I guess...:suspicious:

This is my shifter:

outlaw.jpg

Last edited:
Sourced another Mercury today. I was picking up solvent for my parts washer, and the guy behind the counter said that I must be doing a lot of work with all this solvent, which got us on the topic of my truck.

Turns out his neighbor had a 66 Merc. sitting in the back yard, with plans to fix up and drive. Years went by and he never did anything with it (lost interest). I got the address and drove over there. It's a custom cab, with all the chrome, and everything is there, including a Merc. tail gate that is MUCH more solid than mine. This one is an auto, too.

Nobody was home, so I'm going over there this evening before I meet up with some buddies. If he takes my offer, great, if not, I'll leave him with my info and he can contact me when he's ready. That truck won't go anywhere if I don't take it. It's well hidden too, which is a plus.

Last edited:
I lied. Tailgate is worse than I thought. Last time I was back there I was in a hurry because I was trespassing... It is salvageable, though. This truck has many goodies on it.

The owners wife was home... Apparently the guy sold it to a buddy for the price of $500... He hasn't picked it up in years though, so she will have him call me if it becomes available.

Picture022.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Picture024-1.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Be cool if you could snag it!

I'd like to do a 4x4 conversion on this one with D-60's and go truck pulling!

Oh I can dream! I don't even know where I would park this thing!! Haha

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
uhm... Park it in the garage?
Park one of the other cars in the street, it will be ok! :)

I never saw your reply, are you going with a reverse VB? Or the normal set up?

your shifter have all the fancy buttons too?

With cage and track times i assume its gunna drag? ( i likely missed that somewhere )

But any plans for a trans brake? what about nitrous?

Have anything in store for the rear suspension?
4link rear and an ifs front? MustangII esque?

Just a bunch of thoughts, and idea's that ran through my head... :)

If you haven't considered it and do plan on running it down the strip, i suggest a reverse VB, its much more natural and leaves less area for a shifting mistake...

Thanks for your word!
uhm... Park it in the garage?
Park one of the other cars in the street, it will be ok! :)

Garage houses my parents vehicles, I've got two on the driveway and one on the street! :headbang:

Actually, legally we are only aloud to have one uninsured vehicle on the property. :(

I never saw your reply, are you going with a reverse VB? Or the normal set up?

Read post #38, it is one post before yours, I guess that's why you haven't seen it.

your shifter have all the fancy buttons too?

The shifter will include the buttons, but I am only using one, for a line lock.

With cage and track times i assume its gunna drag? ( i likely missed that somewhere )

Street/strip deal. Shooting for high 10's eventually... smilietease

But any plans for a trans brake? what about nitrous?

No trans brake for now, they are very rough on parts. If I ever get more serious with it, that is one of the changes I'll make. Nitrous is for the weak.

Have anything in store for the rear suspension?
4link rear and an ifs front? MustangII esque?

I am staying with leaf springs this time around. Original plan was a 4-link but this project was getting to expensive, so I cut back. Using a split mono-leaf along with an axle flip, cal-tracs, sliders and coil overs. When (if) I get more serious I'll step up to a 4-link and a different front clip.

2" drop beams in the front, softer springs and drag shocks.

Just a bunch of thoughts, and idea's that ran through my head... :)

If you haven't considered it and do plan on running it down the strip, i suggest a reverse VB, its much more natural and leaves less area for a shifting mistake...

Last edited:
Wiper motor rebuild!

Picture005-1.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture009-1.jpg

Brushes got filed flat and slip ring cleaned up with scotch brite pad
Picture011.jpg

New Tape after inspecting/washing the harness
Picture016-2.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Austin