Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

wrong core support.

Picked up a core support for $25 off Craigslist. Thought it was a great deal since mine was rotted out ay one of the frame mounts. Put the new one on and its different from the old one. Biggest difference is the radiater opening is smaller and it doesn't have the hole for the ac.

So I'm figuring that there is a difference between factory ac and non ac trucks. Can anyone verify this, or do I have a core support from the wrong year truck?

* * HTC Incredible / Forum Runner * *

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111209_115359.jpg
  • ForumRunner_20111209_115439.jpg
  • ForumRunner_20111209_115533.jpg

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
There were several different radiator supports in the 73-79 trucks. The one you bought appears to be for a 300/302 without air conditioning. Could be a 360/390 w/o a/c too though.

If I had to guess, I'd say the mounting holes are different for the radiator too, though it's just a guess.

Yours, having the 400 ( I assume you're talking about the 79 in your sig)... Does it have the 4-tube radiator? If so, the radiator support is specific.

SuperCab said:
There were several different radiator supports in the 73-79 trucks. The one you bought appears to be for a 300/302 without air conditioning. Could be a 360/390 w/o a/c too though.

Yours, having the 400 ( I assume you're talking about the 79 in your sig)...

Should of stated it is the 77 f100 w/ 460.
So there were different ones made. I'll have to pay closer attention when I go to get another. The local pull a part has two 79 f100's one had ac.

You'll prob need one that had the 460 originally...they usually came with a bigger radiator, so the support may be different.

Yeah, first thing that came to mind. The radiator that's in it now isn't right for a 460. This motor swap was really hacked up. They made things work, I'm trying to get things redone correctly or close to it. Kinda frustrating but I'm making progress. Slowly.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Rusty,two different supports,one is for standard cooling for small blocks,more length than height usually suports a 2-4core cross flow radiator kinda like you would see in a passender car,other is heavy duty cooling support for larger engines,more height than width 4 core or larger vertical flow radiator, found in trucks with bigger engines & air cond.fyi cross flow radiators,the coolong tubles are horizontal runing across the radiator,vertical,the tubes run from top to bottom of radiator.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles