Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

worn out?

1997 f250 hd 460c.i. auto column shifter has gotten real sloppy and loose feeling. wont go into park. have to start in neutral. anybody know whats up ? thnx

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
The cable can tend to wear out over time, leaving both the shifting sloppy and the indicator in the dash incorrect.

Check the cable for tension and correct mounting (make sure none of the brackets that hold it to the body of the truck have come loose). One of the HD guys will be along soon to provide more help than a measely Exploder guy like myself can.

How many miles we looking at?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
IIRC, there are two small torx bolts at the end of the column under the dash that I believe connect the shift tube inside the column to a bracket that is connected to the shift cable...These bolts come loose and fall out all the time. I found that out after my truck went through the front of a Messican hair salon (was still my dad's at the time, employee made a stop, didn't get the truck all the way in to park, but looked like it, rolled across the street and through the front of a building). Or like Zach said, could be the cable is broken.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Yep check yhe bolts and the like . Could also be shift tube look at it while you r checking bolts

Ford Truck Articles