Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

WooHooo!!! santa loves me

ok, but when you put it in 4 wheel, you gotta shift both sticks?

ok, but when you put it in 4 wheel, you gotta shift both sticks?
Depends on what you have it in. If you want 4H, and you are in 2H, you only pull the lever for the front axle
I have also, but this is easier and it looks great :).
Like I said, major cool factor
If your carefull you can find a a spot between neatural and 4 lo that will ingage only the front drive shaft. I used play with it

Interesting. I think mine did this once when my truck was at a really bad angle

Update: got the shift rail out and sent off, machined at the local machine shop, back, and in. I talked to the guy that did it, and i guess it was a pain in the a$$ to machine. So i know i woulda been screwed if i had done it with a grinder like the directions told me. GOt the t-case buttoned back up, and now its been sitting on my bench waiting for me to find the time to put it in.

Which im doing tomorrow.:cooldude:

Stupid. I was doing the install, and everything was going a-ok, until i tried shifting them. Two problems, one minor, one kinda bigger.

Problem one: shifters dont clear the hole in the cab. Easy fix, just cut the whole in the cab bigger. The supplied boot covers it anyways.

Problem two: apparently, the people who designed the shifters didnt plan on anyone having a manual. If the right stick is in high, (all the way back), i can shift, barely. In neutral, i cant get into reverse or 4th. In low, I cant do anything. No good way to bend them in a way that will makethem clear. So i cut them way shorter. Haventinstalled them yet, waiting to get onto the hoist.

Who offers this twin stick for the NP-205? I have a 75 HighBoy f-250 with an FE engine, NP-435 4 speed and NP-205 transfer case I'd be interested in considering this combination for. We occasionally go towards Florence Arizona where there's excellent 'rock-crawling', and while my truck doesn't fit in all the places some of my buddies rock-crawling rigs do, I would imagine the twin-stick may help me in other areas. Gotta agree with Unrulee... I may not "need" it, but simply may "want" it !!! What was the motivator for you to do this to your truck??

Who offers this twin stick for the NP-205? I have a 75 HighBoy f-250 with an FE engine, NP-435 4 speed and NP-205 transfer case I'd be interested in considering this combination for. We occasionally go towards Florence Arizona where there's excellent 'rock-crawling', and while my truck doesn't fit in all the places some of my buddies rock-crawling rigs do, I would imagine the twin-stick may help me in other areas. Gotta agree with Unrulee... I may not "need" it, but simply may "want" it !!! What was the motivator for you to do this to your truck??

Cool factor, mostly. :cooldude:

I put it in because i wanted it more than anything. Its fun to play with front wheel drive. I got to go in the sand last night and ill tell ya, these old heavy fords go places in front wheel drive. I dont see much of a reason for the rear axle anymore! lol jk but seriously, its a fun toy to play with.

As for your application, im not sure if it will work or not. It came with some extra pieces that look like they would be extensions for the linkages, but not positive since i havent spent much time wrenchin on a divorced t-case. But here is the link, and you can also wait till business hours and call and ask

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-21610-np205-stainless-steel-twin-stick-shifter-kit.html

dont know if you have ever dealt with jeffs bronco graveyard, but they are good people. Ive ordered a few parts from them and there was never a problem

Ok so i got the sticks in, after some cutting, grinding, threading, heating , cussing, and bending. I ended up cutting them an inch below the bend. When it came to threading, i ran into problems. The shifter is make of 1/2 inch round bar, and they necked it down at the end to put 7/16 threads on it. I dont have the tools to neck them down, so i went to the hardware store and found the same identical black knob, only in 1/2 inch threads. So i threaded the sticks, heated them to pink, and bent them both the same amount in opposite directions. Then i took a buffer wheel to them to clean them up, put them in, and here is the finished product

fdfdhsdfh.jpg

PS- ignore the bad vinyl flooring, new is on the list

Thanks. i was reasonably satisfied with my job of modifying those shifters

I have used them before and agree...they're great! Soound slike it REALLY made a difference for you. I'll shoot them a call and check it out. Thank you. 75 Highboy in Phoenix

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
I know this post is a little old, but I was curious as to how hard the installation of the new shift rails was? I am looking at getting this set up for my truck. Could this be done in a weekend as well? Don't want the truck down for too long.

I know this post is a little old, but I was curious as to how hard the installation of the new shift rails was? I am looking at getting this set up for my truck. Could this be done in a weekend as well? Don't want the truck down for too long.

With the kit i bought, you have to modify your existing shift rail. Only the one for the rear axle. Here are the basic steps:

1. remove transfer case from truck.
2. pressure wash off if necessary
3. remove factory linkage from the shift rails.
4. remove detent ball on shift rail for rear axle. This is done by taking the bolt out above the rail, and removing spring and ball.
5. punch out the soft plug above the same shift rail. the plug can be retrieved by removing the side access panel and fishing around until you find it.
6. with shift rail in neutral position, punch out roll pin that is visible through the hole you just punched the plug out of. Again, this can be retrieved through the bottom.
7. remove shift rail by simply pulling it out.
8. with the kit, there are directions for machining the rail, but i saw that as out of my machining capabilities, so i sent it down to my favorite machine shop and he milled it down. Im glad i didnt do it, as he said it was kinda sucky to do. i recommend having this part done by a professional.
9. install the modified rail, putting it all back in reverse order of removal
10. remove all factory linkage from truck.
11. re-install transfer case.
12. The kit comes with everything needed to install the new linkage, but as previously stated, i had to shorten mine

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts