Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Windstar dynamics

tylstruck

Canadian diisabled Yuppie
I follow up much of the trucking news. A lot of the new automotive tecnology is developed ferom trials on big rigs.

I've read that a trial on developmental wings around the sides and roof at the rear of a trailer can reduce drag therefore improve fuel consumption by 5%

My parents have a normal 2001 Windstar van. I noticed they have a sport model that has a spoiler at the back. I wonder if this sport model gets better fuel mileage because of this spoiler?

Tyl

blacksnapon

Staff member
I saw a step-by-step modification process on a tractor trailer, trying to improve aerodynamics. They tried wings, air foils, even moving the high pressure air from the front to the rear, where there is low pressure wit an elaborate air vent. The most success was when they removed the door mirrors.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Which I'm pretty sure they couldn't live without.. 'least I hope I'm not the one that gets rammed into when they're backing up. smilietease

tylstruck

Canadian diisabled Yuppie
I suppose, they do stick out like a sore thumb.

TYhe european truck mirrors are appealing. They are possitioned where you just have to glance up at them. Here we have to rotate our heads.

Tyl

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts