Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

will i need to drop my exhaust to do oil pan gasket?

im a little confused as to why they would tell me that i have to pull trans if all i really have to do is raise motor four inches give or take. i still dont know about doing it without raising motor,dont get me wrong im not saying it cant be done but it does look a little cramped in there. if i was to raise motor where should i hook my chain to. are the brackets for alternator and powersteering strong enough or should i pull a bolt and bolt the chain to the block?

Michigan
Definatly not anything hooked to the front timing chain cover. My buddy hooked it somewhere on there and cracked it. Beats me to why they would have to drop the trans becuase that still wouldnt help get the pan out of there....

im a little confused as to why they would tell me that i have to pull trans if all i really have to do is raise motor four inches give or take. i still dont know about doing it without raising motor,dont get me wrong im not saying it cant be done but it does look a little cramped in there. if i was to raise motor where should i hook my chain to. are the brackets for alternator and powersteering strong enough or should i pull a bolt and bolt the chain to the block?

The motor came from the factory with brackets on the exhaust to lift the motor. If they are gone then you could chain to the exhaust manifold bolts - just make sure to use 2 or 3 per side to spead out the load.

Ford Truck Articles