Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Where is the Mass airflow sensor?

Fellro

Staff member
I don't immediately know, but it has to be in the incoming air stream. Many times it is bolted to the air box, other times it is in the intake air hose, the final place it can be is attached to the throttle body on the intake.

Greg97

Ford Strong
Thanks Fellro. I disconnected the 2 hoses to the throttle body and no sensor there and on the other end nearest to the air filter and nothing there either. Is it possible I do not have one?

Fellro

Staff member
looking at the part, it should be attached to the air box.
getimage.php

You have to take the round part of the air filter assembly off and pry the inner section out. You will see the wires going into the housing push them gently in to give some slack. Use a flat screw driver to pry the inner piece out. Reach in and unplug the sensor. It has tamper proof torx I believe they are h25 or h27 bits. Use brake clean it MAF cleaner only no carb cleaner it leaves a film.
null_zpsfea3f59b.jpg

Thus pic might help

Do you have a 5.8 or 5.4?? They did make a f250 in both body styles in 97 thru 99 etheir way it should have a MAF and if should be in or in the air cleaner assembly

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
No the only year they had the OBS was 97 and it would be a 5.8.. And not all of those had MAF as they were emmissions exempt and some were.still speed density...

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Ford Power

Greg97

Ford Strong
Thanks for everyone's responses! After disconnecting the 2 air hoses I saw there was no MAF sensor on either end. From what I understand it was just after my model year (1997) that they started adding the MAF sensor. The sticker on the inside of my door says it was manufactured in January 97.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
He wanted to clean it

Sent from my mudwhistle via lemmiwinks.

Fellro

Staff member
^^^ as specified in the very first post... ;)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts