Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What's your little fixes? :)

Couple weeks ago, while I had the steering wheel pulled, noticed the
whole turn signal's plastic base-plate was loose but the screws were
tight.

It's made that way because the screws have shoulders on 'em but it
was too stinkin' loose to suit me anyway. LOL :) So I worked a small
o-ring onto two (of the 3) screws and just tightened 'em down and
that snugged that baby right up. :)

-------------------

Another one is where the plastic cracked where the screws holds
down the plastic panels. :/ On the door panels (and the twin ceiling
panels for the rear of the cab on the Bronco). Glued the cracks shut
but added a nylon or fiber washer to the molded-in stand-off to take
up just a little of the space so it wouldn't be pulling down on it so far
and-so maybe-not pull my glue-job loose? :)

Got any little things like that you've found and fixed? :)

Alvin in AZ

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
There is a plastic ring that surrounds the steering column, it has 4 nubs on it at roughly 2, 4, 8 and 10 o'clock. The nubs are what disengages your turn signal after you complete a turn. Well you've probably noticed that the turn signals on these trucks are WAY too easy to disengage (even a slight bump to the side will disengage it). With a saw you can cut off the nubs at 8 and 10 o'clock, which means that the steering wheel has to be turned over to the 2 and 4 o'clock nubs in order to disengage. This amount of turning is MUCH closer to what it should be.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Anyone have have a small fix for a spun 460 bearing or faulty fuel pump????? HAHA. Good idea Alvin. With the gear slector (auto), sometimes it works it's way loose and will allow the vehicle to pop out of gear. There's a screw in there that tightes the selector up and gets you back good as new.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Anyone got an easy little fix for squeaky/noisy door panels? I stuffed the driverside door full of seat cushion foam and it has worked pretty well but it's a huge pain and anytime you take the door panel off it's another big ordeal. The passenger side hasn't gotten the fix and it makes all kinds of noises on the freeway, drives me nuts.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Sell truck to me Skan ....LOL That will take care squeaks

I got 300000 miles on mine still no squeaks must be all the mall cruising you do .

Really tho not a clue since last we talked

Anyone got an easy little fix for squeaky/noisy door panels? I stuffed the driverside door full of seat cushion foam and it has worked pretty well but it's a huge pain and anytime you take the door panel off it's another big ordeal. The passenger side hasn't gotten the fix and it makes all kinds of noises on the freeway, drives me nuts.

Lowes and HD sell little round felt pads with self sticky on the back.
Put them in the right spot and your squeak is gone. It could take only one or more.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Lowes and HD sell little round felt pads with self sticky on the back.
Put them in the right spot and your squeak is gone. It could take only one or more.
Not a bad idea... If only I could figure out where the actual squeak is... :headbang:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Not a bad idea... If only I could figure out where the actual squeak is... :headbang:

You get the weirdest damn squeaks with your rig. Didn't you have a rivet issue or something too????????

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
You get the weirdest damn squeaks with your rig. Didn't you have a rivet issue or something too????????
Yeah I've had a popping noise while cranking the wheel for a while... But I think I have narrowed it down to a ball joint. It's another one of things on my list.

Or it's that he makes a much bigger deal out of it than most people, which is a good thing for the next owner:wavey:.
Hahaha actually I think Taylor is exactly right. I'm borderline obsessive compulsive.

Yeah I've had a popping noise while cranking the wheel for a while... But I think I have narrowed it down to a ball joint. It's another one of things on my list.

Hahaha actually I think Taylor is exactly right. I'm borderline obsessive compulsive.

I thought you told me just not to hold the phone that way, TAKE THAT CORPORATE SCUM smilietease

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Pretty sure this one is well known but when your window motor slips because of worn out torque pins you can replace them with 1/4 inch nuts and prevent the slippage. Mr Clean magic eraser works good for taking dirt/grime off of plastic interior panels. If your ac/heat only works on defrost you can ziptie your interior blend door solenoid to make the air come out of your vents instead of defrost. Installing a GM rearview mirror with the lights in it is a great upgrade to give you more light on the dash. A hoseclamp around the tailgate pivot point, with the slot in it for removal, will prevent your tailgate from getting stolen.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Mr Clean magic eraser works good for taking dirt/grime off of plastic interior panels.

Heh, I've detailed 50ft yachts with a couple hundred of those suckers!

You walk into the detail shop and you see: brushes, soap, buckets, and 10,000 3'x3' boxes of magic erasers.

There is a plastic ring that surrounds the steering column, it has 4 nubs
on it at roughly 2, 4, 8 and 10 o'clock. The nubs are what disengages
your turn signal after you complete a turn. Well you've probably noticed
that the turn signals on these trucks are WAY too easy to disengage
(even a slight bump to the side will disengage it). With a saw you can
cut off the nubs at 8 and 10 o'clock, which means that the steering
wheel has to be turned over to the 2 and 4 o'clock nubs in order to
disengage. This amount of turning is MUCH closer to what it should be.
All three of my Gen-8's had was two anyway.

But yeah, seems to me for a right turn the position for the cancel should
be farther around to the right from where the left turn should cancel??

Anyway, I had two choices of button/rod positions and chose the hole
that was used. Looked like if I'd chose the unused hole it would have
been exactly like to described where the right turn cancel would've been
way too close.

Lost the spring that the rod rests on so made one from a 1/4" piece of
lighter-flint-spring. :)

Seems to me all it only really needs is one cancel nub but didn't bother
to mess with it this go around, maybe next time after I've had a chance
to live with it? ;)

Alvin in AZ

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Not so much a fix, as a trick. If you want bigger tires, and don't want to trim and can't afford a lift, or don't want one...shim out your front bumper. I get 37's under my 350 with no rubbing and the front bumper is shimmed out 1.5".

Originally Posted by flareside_thunder:
A hoseclamp around the tailgate pivot point, with the slot in it for
removal, will prevent your tailgate from getting stolen.
I really, really like that one.
Yeah that's a good idea alright. :)

So far, my fix on the Bronco's glove compartment door is to just screw
the dangged thang shut. :/ PO messed up and locked it and someone
(maybe him even) broke the dash! It's not all that much missing but it's
sure enough screwed up. :/ I guess the PO drilled a big hole trough the
door and put in a cabinet lock, but it sucks.

"when you lock your stuff up, all you're really doing is locking yourself out,
since you're the only one not willing to break something to get in ;)" -Alvin

"don't lock the doors on a convertible" -ever'body :)

Alvin in AZ

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Not so much a fix, as a trick. If you want bigger tires, and don't want to trim and can't afford a lift, or don't want one...shim out your front bumper. I get 37's under my 350 with no rubbing and the front bumper is shimmed out 1.5".
That only works for some truck configurations. On mine, the 33s are much closer to the back of the wheel well than they are to the bumper when I crank the wheel or flex it out.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts