Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

whats your favorite filter?

blacksnapon

Staff member
My reasoning is a little different than most. When you remove some filters, you get oil all down your arm, others, the filter is virtually empty. Most wear happens at first start up, if the filter is empty, the motor is starting dry. Motorcraft, and a few others use anti drain-back valves to keep oil in the filter and not siphon back to the pan. Fram, valvoline, stp, pennzoil, dont have this valving. You can have all the filter paper in the world in the filter, but if it doesn't have oil in it, what good is it? Another thing, might not be significant, but we have an oil filter crusher here, and its interesting how flat the cheaper filters will crush to, as opposed to the premium brands.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
The better fram ones have the anti dran back valve. I wont buy a filter without it.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Up until recently I was using QS. And by up until recently I mean the last time I did an oil change (quite a while ago). Now that I'm well informed on the subject (done some research), I'll be using motorcraft from now on.

Every time I'm done an oil change there's always been plenty of oil in the filter, though.

I use the Fram Tough Guard filters... i also use the Engine restore..

as far as why, it sounded good lol

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Motorcraft FL1-A on my son's '91 F250 gasser (460/V8)

Racor on my 6.0L PSD.
smiliegitrdone

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I use a Motorcraft FL820s.

Chris our motors have a watercooled plate that the filter sits on, thus the use of the shorter filter, you may have known but I happened to look at it and noticed it not too long ago. Let the whipping begin,,,lol
Ohhh yeah!! I've seen that cooler before, just never put 2&2 together to figure out it was the reason for the shorter filters. Smart thinkin YelloThumbUp

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
This is what Ford has to say about NON-Ford filters and Warranty work.

Engine Damage / Non-Ford Oil Filters - All Model Years, All Vehicles
A review of warranty claims indicates that engine damage caused by defective non-Ford oil filters is being claimed under Ford warranty.

The check valves in some non-Ford filters disintegrate causing small rubber debris (frequently red color) to migrate into the engine's oil passages where they restrict flow. This restriction causes components (such as the variable cam timing phaser) to fail, and causes engine knocking / ticking /rattles.

Please reference:

SSM #18921 (Published: 11/03/05)
SSM #19642 (Published: 03/01/07)
TSB #06-19-08
Repair of engine damage caused by defective non-Ford oil filters is not covered per Section 3 of the Warranty & Policy Manual.

Category: Powertrain – Engine
Do: Look for bits of rubber (frequently red color) when repairing damaged engines.
Don't: Submit a warranty claim for damage caused by defective non-Ford oil filters.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Marlboro 27's in a box ;)

Gunner

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
One thing I have noticed between Fram and Motorcraft, is that the rubber seal on the Motorcraft filters seem to be a little better quality. This could be good or bad. I have a remanufactured engine with a little "nub" on the oil filter mounting plate. The Fram filter will squish right over the nub and seal the filter for about the first 1000 miles or so, and then it starts to leak.

On the Motorcraft, I have to tighten the filter with a filter wrench( I know, this isn't normal) but the Motorcraft does stayed sealed until it is time to change the oil.

Last edited:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Framm is an OK or marginal filter, but for the sake of a few dollars... I buy Motorcraft and never worry. I have also used the Mobil 1 synthetic spin on filter on my son's '91 F250/460-V8... but the price was too much and we went back to Motorcraft... but the Mobil 1 filter was built like a tank!!!

Personally, for such little difference in cost... I just buy Motorcraft and don't worry about anything. Now... if people would just change their oil on a regular and consistent basis that would help more than anything!!!!!

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Fram for everything I have owned for the last 10 years. Never had one ever removed without it being full of oil. From my harley's to my lawn mower to everything else. Never 1 single problem.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I've used Motorcraft filters an Q-state oil in all my Fords....

My Yota however gets the Mobil-1 full syn treatment since I've had it rebuilt gained 30-40mpg per tank too, next up is full syn in the trans and diff before I leave in two weeks...

What kind of oil filter do you use, and why? (techs, stay out of this until later. I want to see this). I'll give my reasons later.

on my double-ought i used a motocraft filter and quaker state dino, on my fivehundred company car, i used whatever jiffylube put in - the leasing firm approved jiffy lube, not dealers. bought the '06 used with 27K on the clock and just hit 30K. time for the first oil change.

OK, so why ya askin'?

blacksnapon

Staff member
on my double-ought i used a motocraft filter and quaker state dino, on my fivehundred company car, i used whatever jiffylube put in - the leasing firm approved jiffy lube, not dealers. bought the '06 used with 27K on the clock and just hit 30K. time for the first oil change.

OK, so why ya askin'?
post #21 and #27

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Donaldson for the big truck, Amsoil for everything else.

FTF'er

This will sound odd, but...

I use Motorcraft on all my Ford vehicles (sometimes Wix)
and AC Delco on my Chevy (sometimes Wix)
And Mopar on my Chrysler

My Chrysler has the lifetime powertrain warranty and get's every oil change done at the stealership using a Mopar filter.

I change the oil in the Ford and Chevy and will use a Wix filter too instead on Motorcraft or AC Delco. I buy the Napa Gold filter which is a Wix.

I use Wix on everything I own...

When they come off they are full of oil and when you tip them upside down next to none comes out.... gotta have anti drain back on your Mod motors or the timing chains rattle to hell...

All I own right now are 4.6 powered Fords :D

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts