Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What Kind Of Shift Kit??

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
Hey guys MY truck has the 4R70W and today I decided to get on the truck a little (basically meaning I floored it lol) and when it shifted into second it squawked the tires!! I really like good shifting transes but mine really shifts WAY to hard for my liking!! My grandpa said that the truck had a shift kit in it but hes not 100% sure. I have also heard that you can adjust the pressure in these transes?? Do any of you have an idea about how I can check to see what is done to my trans??? Thanks, Justin

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I've got a shift kit and even MY trans doesn't chirp the tires on shifts. Sounds to me like it DOES have a shift kit.

And yes, line pressure can be adjusted with these electronic transmissions.

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
I've got a shift kit and even MY trans doesn't chirp the tires on shifts. Sounds to me like it DOES have a shift kit.

And yes, line pressure can be adjusted with these electronic transmissions.

YA lol well considering u have 33's...... and I have little 31 inch street tires might have something to do with it!! lol:) :)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Just realized the title says "what kind of shift kit".

To my knowledge there are really only 2 kinds of shits kits (at least there are for the e4od). One is an actual mechanical shift kit which requires installation of springs and sleeves and drilling of holes in the separator plate, etc. This is the kind that I installed in my trans.
http://performanceparts.com/part.php?partID=174888

The other kind is strictly an electronic modification which I believe just adjusts the line pressure in the trans. Here's an example of such a shift kit:
http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id=products&sid=3&cat=15

The first type is the traditional type of a shift kit -- the latter is called a 'shift improver'. The latter also has a switch that installs in the cab (for this brand at least). If you don't have the switch then I'd be willing to bet that you've got the first type.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Mine has NO kit in it and it'll bark the tires goin into second.......if i really wanna bark em goin into 2 and 3 then i got a wire i unhook......but that makes it shift HARD........Not too sure on these trannies i haven't gotten this far yet.

Michigan
JR im guessing you have the 4R70W as well.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts