Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What kind of oil should I use?

We all know the drawbacks of fossil fuels, like our dependence on a dwindling resource buried inconveniently in the Middle East. We also know we generate too much trash. So wouldn't the world be a better place if we could solve both problems at once and turn garbage into oil?
As it happens, this transformation has just begun in Carthage, Mo. A new $25-million factory started turning castoff feathers, guts and bones into energy. ConAgra Foods, which owns Butterball, put up half the money; 200 tons of turkey per day will become fertilizer, a heating-grade oil, a powdered carbon suitable for home water filters and, as a bonus, enough natural gas to power the process.
Engineers since the 20's have known how to convert biomass into fuel, but no one has ever figured out how to do it profitably. Government research dollars pushed the science along starting in the 70's, and by the early 90's, Paul Baskis, an Illinois biologist and inventor, had made several crucial leaps. Baskis's thermal depolymerization (TDP) mimics the way magma in the earth's crust turns fossils into fuels, but it does so in a matter of hours instead of millennia. An entrepreneur named Brian Appel became a majority holder of Baskis's patents and in 1997 formed a company called Changing World Technologies to try to make TDP commercially viable.

We have started using this at the company I work for. We're keeping close tabs on how it works out.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Tom, I think I saw something similar if I understand you right. It was turning a gas that seeps out of the ground during decomposition (methane?) and piped to a nearby power plant.

Ryan

Tom, I think I saw something similar if I understand you right. It was turning a gas that seeps out of the ground during decomposition (methane?) and piped to a nearby power plant.

Ryan
well, similar in effect, but different processes lol... the plant is HUGE...

storage_lg.jpg

process_lg.jpg

water_lg.jpg

there is a factory down in Neosho or mac county doing that thing with the methane.... don't dare shorten that to "meth"... EVERYONE down there's doin THAT, hehe...
seriously, though... theyre running a 525KW generator down there using methane from the landfill....steam powered, with THIS boiler:
original

tcbofade

Charter Member
I think perhaps that they should use those big old vats for brewing something else...:beer:

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
WOW!! That is huge. Ok, so I see the V-270, V-265, V-800 & V-805, but where is the VT-365?? Oh, yeah, it's in my truck!:rofl:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts