Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What is the difference?

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
I have a 78 F150 4x4 parts truck that I am thinking of pulling the coil spring / radius arm front suspension out of and putting that in my 76 F250 4x4 Hi-Boy to replace the leaf spring front suspension, I have already swapped in the 78's steering box because I blew the hydro assist ram
now the 76 has the HD-D44 l/p front and D60 rear
the 78 has the D44 h/p
can I swap gears between the two, I want to keep my 4:10's, I know I can swap the outters
I could always just weld on some wedges and save myself some trouble but I am looking into all options
selling the truck is not one of them!
but I am looking for a better ride and better articulation

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I have seen several of these year trucks on net with coil conversions on front . I wish I had paid attention now. Sorry I'm no help .

But if you make A Rad arm and panard bar of sorts but it would work .

I read about coils and axles,diffs

so what is the actual question here ?

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I think he wants to know if his 4:10 gears will swap from his D44 HD out of this highboy into the D44 from the F150.

I didn't think there was a "pumpkin" difference between the two. I guess, I would try to keep the D44 HD since it has the stronger and beefier hubs.

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
I don't know what the gears are in the d44 yet, I haven't pulled it apart, I wont be doing any of this for awhile, I am having too much fun driving my truck as it is now, this is just for future reference, I have to get my 78 Bronco back together and up and running first so I don't go into with drawls
yes Buck you have the question right
so the housings should be interchangeable between the two? are the axles the same?
I just went and changed tires and had in allined and I have a negative camber on the drivers side like something is bent, it wasn't bad though

Last edited:
Sifto, If you post the BOM number of both axles I can decode them and show you a parts list.

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
Thanks Heavy D, I'll do that, feeling a bit under the weather today but I will be at it this weekend, I got someone coming to buy my 460 and I need to go pick up my cap and tear down the M motor
alot to do and no ambition to do it????

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
Yeah, what they said about the gears not swapping over.

Check out my thread in the offroad forum for info on swapping a leaf sprung axle into a radius arm setup. If you're dealing with a 70's d44 it will be easier because the driver side axle tube will give you more room to fit the c-wedges on for the radius arms.

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
yea but can I swap out the whole chunk from one to the other, or would that be a no because of the difference in pinion positions? hi + lo

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
I'm not sure I understand the question.

The gears will not swap over, a high pinion R&P will not work in a low pinion axle as far as I know.

You can swap the whole axle over if you want to do the work for it.

edit: Oh! are you thinking like a 9inch that has the removable third member "chunk" ?? If so, that won't work because the d44 doesn't have a removable third member.. unless you want to do a lot of cutting and welding, but it really wouldn't be worth it. The low pinion d44 is pretty undesirable anyway, its weak and not an upgrade over a standard high pinion d44.

Last edited:

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
That would be sweet, I will be checking that anyways, the parts truck had 44's on it at one time so it is also possible that they were swapped too

grantpete

Pete Grant
Can you fabricate the hd 44 into the coil spring mounts and radius arm mounts then you can keep the hole axle?

Ford Truck Articles