Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What did you do to your Dent today

Status
Not open for further replies.

primetime

sawmill slave
Hi guys.... In answer to your question Doug they do an extensive visual check and miscellaneous other checks, then if that passes then the tailpipe emissions test. I have had to do smog on the truck every two years and 3 different 460s since 1982. Some years it has been very expensive and hard to get passed and the last few years in has been easier as I have the 557 running a close to stock cam and have kept the original smog parts on it. Luckily in 1976 the California 460's did not have a lot of smog equipment on them. With that said the closer you kept it to stock makes it easier to get passed. You can put performance parts on them but they must all be California Air Resources Board approved and sometimes those parts can still be a pain to get through depending on the technician's knowledge of the parts and smog laws. This year the cost of getting the truck smog tested was $60.00 for the test and smog certificate. Hopefully in two years it will be the same.
I found this comment from the smog technician interesting on the amount of smog my truck puts out "Your truck is cleaner than a lot of the newer trucks".:)

I guess they didn`t pass the rolling thirty year exemption I had read about a few years ago? Nice to see you and your truck around, Randy. The comment from the smog tech is priceless. THAT makes you feel good.

I guess they didn`t pass the rolling thirty year exemption I had read about a few years ago? Nice to see you and your truck around, Randy. The comment from the smog tech is priceless. THAT makes you feel good.

Thanks Justin and it is good to be back to posting again. They did away with the thirty year exemptions and anything 1976 or newer will always have to be smog checked. The state does have a program that will give about 500 vehicles each year a life-time exemption after a one time smog check, but I have not applied for that as long as it is reasonable to smog the truck.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Drove the truck "Into the 'mistic'" today. :D Sorry, Van Morrison.

DSCF2939.JPG

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
I had done a little cruisin' around this weekend, in Ithaca, NY, a cool looking Dent is the epitome of a cruiser, sort of makes those rich college kids is their Bavarian Milk Wagons (BMW's) and Mercedes Benzes drool and wish they could cruise in a Dentside Ford. Ahh! Cruisin' in a Dent is the way life gets better. The time spent cruisin', IS NOT deducted from one's lifetime, especially when cruisin' a cool , $$$$$$ Dent. smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Fuel might just be siphoning back.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
It could be leaking into the engine as well....do you smell gas at all?....seals do tend to dry out.

Might even be the fuel pump.

No gas smell. I put a new mechanical pump on when I bought the truck.

I heard that the hoses can sometimes leak air in and allow gas to siphon back to the tank. But yet not leak out any gas.

Adjusted the timing , hooked up the exhaust after making the sharp bend around the tranny mount , next step , installing a triple gauge

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Walked by my Dent today, and I got thinking Damn I think I'm due for a little cruise, or therapy, hell, cruisin' is therapy, after an FTF'ed up day at work and school

WOOHOOOOOOOO Passed My CA SMog !!!!!!!!!!

Well took the 79 F250 SCSB yesterday to get smogged and it finally passed. So it is all good for another 2 years and first time, since 2010. Getting 12mpg pretty consistently and it is so quiet an smooth and under the radar with the stock exhaust( kids want me to install a Flowmaster and make it know it's coming down the road). Shows the cert and the other shows my truck and a friends after we left the shop. :nana:

Attachments

• 20141002_224630.jpg
  • 20140813_172329.jpg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles