Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What did you do to your Dent today

Status
Not open for further replies.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Yup. R-12. I'm going to have to fill it with nitrogen to find the leak.

I thought they put a dye in it that shines with a light or something for freon leaks? Or is that the nitrogen you're talking about?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
A sneak peak from our photo session yesterday......can't wait for the CD to come later this week probably....first time we had the truck shot professionally.....it's 4 years older than when it was the best condition it'll ever be (when we first bought it - brand new show room throughout) and just from even minimal use over the few years and you can tell it's aging a tad...not much, but it's not the same for sure...it's a vehicle with a bunch of moving parts and a hunk of metal, so it's going to age regardless, which is why we wanted to photograph it as early as we could; professionally anyways:

The future owner of this rig; my boy!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
py5a6e3a.jpg

ajyrejy9.jpg

Sent from my not so smart phone.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
^^^Had coffee with a friend this morning. Love driving my dents around town.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
6aze4ate.jpg

8yrenuja.jpg

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
pyjagape.jpg

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
No idea. Picked it up for a drive train swap for my wife's 2wd 77 F250. Nice thing is that the cab is in excellent shape on the outside, just needs a new floor. It appears to have sat in grass for a long time, probably with junk in the box to trap moisture. Only 4 bed bolts (2 front and 2 rear) were holding it on. Drilled them out in a couple minutes, hooked a chain up and yanked it off. ;-)

Got the truck's every two year California smog check done. PASSED :WooHoo:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous

Having lived in a state that doesn't even do inspections, I'm curious to know how that works. Do you just have to pass an exhaust analysis, or do you also have to demonstrate that all the original smog equipment is in place?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

Gotta love that! Especially when 5-10 year old cars go in and fail! smilieFordlogo

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Having lived in a state that doesn't even do inspections, I'm curious to know how that works. Do you just have to pass an exhaust analysis, or do you also have to demonstrate that all the original smog equipment is in place?

I had to do this when I started my practice in CA....not sure how they do it now....it's been 15 years or so, but when I was there, they stuck a stick in the tailpipe and the hose to this stick ran to a computer which measured the emissions.

Hi guys.... In answer to your question Doug they do an extensive visual check and miscellaneous other checks, then if that passes then the tailpipe emissions test. I have had to do smog on the truck every two years and 3 different 460s since 1982. Some years it has been very expensive and hard to get passed and the last few years in has been easier as I have the 557 running a close to stock cam and have kept the original smog parts on it. Luckily in 1976 the California 460's did not have a lot of smog equipment on them. With that said the closer you kept it to stock makes it easier to get passed. You can put performance parts on them but they must all be California Air Resources Board approved and sometimes those parts can still be a pain to get through depending on the technician's knowledge of the parts and smog laws. This year the cost of getting the truck smog tested was $60.00 for the test and smog certificate. Hopefully in two years it will be the same.
I found this comment from the smog technician interesting on the amount of smog my truck puts out "Your truck is cleaner than a lot of the newer trucks".:)

Thats got to make you feel good.

Good and surprised actually... here in California they drum into you that if you drive anything older than a 1995 vehicle you should take if off the road. In fact in our county they will give me a $1,000 if I would turn the truck into them, for them to then to crush it and get that terrible smog polluter off the road.:)

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Hi guys.... In answer to your question Doug they do an extensive visual check and miscellaneous other checks, then if that passes then the tailpipe emissions test. I have had to do smog on the truck every two years and 3 different 460s since 1982. Some years it has been very expensive and hard to get passed and the last few years in has been easier as I have the 557 running a close to stock cam and have kept the original smog parts on it. Luckily in 1976 the California 460's did not have a lot of smog equipment on them. With that said the closer you kept it to stock makes it easier to get passed. You can put performance parts on them but they must all be California Air Resources Board approved and sometimes those parts can still be a pain to get through depending on the technician's knowledge of the parts and smog laws. This year the cost of getting the truck smog tested was $60.00 for the test and smog certificate. Hopefully in two years it will be the same.
I found this comment from the smog technician interesting on the amount of smog my truck puts out "Your truck is cleaner than a lot of the newer trucks".:)

That is quite an accomplishment! I'll pay you a $1000 to keep it on the road. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles