Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

what carb should i use?

I'll throw my two cents in here as well. I've posted this info before, but believe it bears repeating. Please do yourself a favor and check www.ponycarburetors.com. I've tried several carbs over the years, most with excellent success, but few have come close to matching the performance AND economy of an Autolite 4100 four barrel. Stay away from the 4350. Stick to the 480 cfm 4100. Pony carbs has done TONS of Ford performance and concourse car shows. This guy lives, breathes, sleeps, drinks and eats carburetors and the Autolite 4100 is his absolute favorite. Before you spend your hard earned dough on another Holley/Edelbrock that is NOT dialed in for your small block, give Pony Carbs a look. Their carb sizing and timing info is really helpful too !!!

I'll throw my two cents in here as well. I've posted this info before, but believe it bears repeating. Please do yourself a favor and check www.ponycarburetors.com. I've tried several carbs over the years, most with excellent success, but few have come close to matching the performance AND economy of an Autolite 4100 four barrel. Stay away from the 4350. Stick to the 480 cfm 4100. Pony carbs has done TONS of Ford performance and concourse car shows. This guy lives, breathes, sleeps, drinks and eats carburetors and the Autolite 4100 is his absolute favorite. Before you spend your hard earned dough on another Holley/Edelbrock that is NOT dialed in for your small block, give Pony Carbs a look. Their carb sizing and timing info is really helpful too !!!

Too bad you need to sell your house and 1st born to buy one...

Too bad you need to sell your house and 1st born to buy one...
Yep. :)

If a guy wanted to, he could get a wide-band oxygen sensor
(and a controller for it) and just make his own "pony carb".

Be way better than just "laying money down on the counter".
...a child can lay money down on a counter! :/

I've got those 2 things but hadn't got around to it yet since
the controller needs parts soldered to it, is one reason. ;)
{note to self: get a new soldering iron, danggit}

Oh, and read just yesterday that a Dorman 42002 spark plug
anti-fouler (makes the spark plug a chicken hater?) is a good
thing to use on wide-band oxygen sensors, makes them last
longer without changing their readings or reaction time.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-...=&start=&vfrom=&prev=&vnext=&category_list=:0

Alvin in AZ
ps- Anybody here raise chickens before and think of them as
"domesticated vultures" too? LOL :)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I went and read a bunch of stuff at that site...I find it a bit odd that just about every carb listed had "engineering and design problems" from day one.
As far a getting a carb dialed in, my experience has shown that no matter what the situation, a dyno is required to 100% properly dial in a carb. My own plan is to use a ProSystems carb, which even after spending the money on it, I fully expect to have to put it on the dyno to make sure everything is running as it should be.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
If you do have that chance, definitely dyno the engine. I didn't have that chance and really wish I would have.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
If you do have that chance, definitely dyno the engine. I didn't have that chance and really wish I would have.

It is gonna happen Buck...in for a penny, in for a pound...I want that 434 to return everything it can!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
When dynoed...results will be posted in both SAE and STD with all correction and smoothing factors noted.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts