Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Welp i have a knocking in my 351 now. :(

I figured out what the knocking was before it wasnt in my c6. It was in my rear and traveling up my driveshaft. It was u joints and carrier bearing. But now about the knocking in my truck is now in my motor. And it starts and ill drive for alittle bit and it will stop. Can someone please tell me what this is i miss my truck after looking through all the forums. Someone help me out please.:headbang:

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
hmm there are several possibilities,how much oil pressure did you lose?,could be lifter noise if its at the top & as you drive the oil pressure comes up pumping the lifters back up.but we need to pinpoint the area of the noise.take a long ratchet extension or steel rod {i use a 3/8 long extension}with the motor runing, place one end of the rod on the intake manifold near the valve cover put your ear on the other end & listen for the knock ,start at the front cylinder & work your way back on each bank.if the noise is coming from the top,the knock will become more noticable the closer you get to it.sometimes a stuck lifter will knock.if you cant pinpoint the knock at the top.move the rod to the sides of the block and repeat. if the knock is more prominent there ive got bad news for you.a sudden loss of oil pressure indicates possible cloged pickup screen at the oil pump or worn pump. restricted oil passages & also could be worn bearings at the cam & possibly the rod bearings & mains.piston risk pins that are worn may also knock.let me know what you find.along with oil pressure readings at idle when engine is at operating temperture & under throttle if possible...Bob

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts