Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Water pump time

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Had put pump on the 94 . Froze up . Never had that happen before .

Really should have done gaskets on rest motor . But trans is acting funny so if it comes out do them than

Thats a grand total of $60 in repairs this year an $14000 miles . Time for a $400 payment for new one LOL NOt

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That's awesome...don't forget your time costs something too...although nowhere near a payment. I think the draw of a new vehicle though is not having the added stress of worrying when the next 'catastrophic' failure will hit and/or being forced to wrench on your rig to survive. When I was DD'in the Bronco, it averaged $150/month in replacement parts plus whatever time I had to put in to replacing them. Red on the other hand, ran flawlessly for years and only went through a couple alternators...until the steering system went to crap.

Another thing to note is...you drove 14,000 miles. If you get 14mpg's, that's 1000 gallons of fuel through the year and at an average of $3.50/gallon you're paying $3500 for fuel. If you do like I did and get something that gets 30mpg's...you're paying $1600 for the year. That means you could have a $158/month car payment on fuel savings alone.

So there could be alot of factors rolled into justifying a new car payment, like actual miles driven, actual parts cost, actual time wrenching, etc. Most folks don't look at it like that when they go to buy a car, but there is some validity in acquiring a car payment. In my case, when weighing the cost of ownership, I'm saving $350/month by acquiring a car payment over dd'ing the Bronco.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Not a bad year.

I had a really good run with my 94, but it got to the point where I wasn't sure if I could rely on 80 miles/day 5 days a week. It was doing what I asked it to do, but I didn't know when I might have a more huge problem.

Ryan

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Some good points UTball68

The work is relaxing . I got parts on shelves for about anything I need

Even taking $100 and hour in to it . The water pump was still under $90

Guys at work pay over $450 for payment on new truck . Thats allot of gas and repairs . For what ?

Nothing would get me to buy new truck (bad looks aside) . I drive several 08 and up truck and currently drive a New 2011 F350 SD XLT 4x4 crew now at work and well it does not compare to the leaf sprung counter part. And bad MPG . None of the 4x4 f150- F350 get better MPG than mine.

I don't worry about break down s reason not to go to work LOL And I see new cars trucks on flat beds all time. (surprised at amount of hondas and toys lately )

I'll put repairs in to it as long as its solid body . And 20000 miles a year .

Really can t do MPG com-pair trucks a truck . If I get a car that's 1 thing . yes I need a beater and am looking but it will be under $3000

Some good points UTball68

The work is relaxing . I got parts on shelves for about anything I need

Even taking $100 and hour in to it . The water pump was still under $90

Guys at work pay over $450 for payment on new truck . Thats allot of gas and repairs . For what ?

Nothing would get me to buy new truck (bad looks aside) . I drive several 08 and up truck and currently drive a New 2011 F350 SD XLT 4x4 crew now at work and well it does not compare to the leaf sprung counter part. And bad MPG . None of the 4x4 f150- F350 get better MPG than mine.

I don't worry about break down s reason not to go to work LOL And I see new cars trucks on flat beds all time. (surprised at amount of hondas and toys lately )

I'll put repairs in to it as long as its solid body . And 20000 miles a year .

Really can t do MPG com-pair trucks a truck . If I get a car that's 1 thing . yes I need a beater and am looking but it will be under $3000

smilieIagree I reckon youré on the right track lost as i've sold cars for a while and have seen some of the hidden cost catch up with people before - i think that there are two ways of looking at it - you can buy an older truck in good condition and perform a strict regime of preventative maintanence on it (what i do) which will take most of your reliability issues away also working on your truck can be an enjoyable hobby.

You can buy a new truck and have no reliability issues while under warranty and as long as you keep trading up every 3 years you shouldn't have to take a spanner to your truck ever again.

As far as the cost of ownership goes i just did a quick calculation like this;

Total purchase price $40000.00
Down Payment/tradein $10000.00
Amount financed $30000.00
Monthly cost over 60 months @6.22% $ 583.06
Total interest cost over loan $ 4983.48
Total cost of car over 3 years $44983.48

Then you must take into account depreciation for which i have used money-zine.com as a calculation example.
1st year depreciation money-zine.com $ 9200.00
Total depreciation $17747.00

To me this means that after 3 years a car that you payed a total of $44983.48 for is now worth $22253.00 meaning that the car ownership cost was $22730.48 over 3 years or if you like a TRUE monthly cost of $961.90.

To me it just makes more sense to put the money saved by owning an old car into paying of my mortgage faster...... although i do like that new car smell.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I dont buy new because in 95 I bought a loaded 95 F150 302 reg cab short bed . 3 months later looking at a 95 Centurion crew and lost 1/2 . The truck only had 1400 miles on it .

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts