Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

VIN

hey guys, i am wondering what part of the vin tells axle code and all that jazz my vin is *********** (i know it by heart lol) i know its a 76 f250 2wd with a 1 bbl 300 built in the norfolk plant in oct. of 75 but i would like to know not only for this truck but ones i look at as well what axles and transmissions they came with, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
It's not on the VIN...it's on the Warranty Plate, either right above or right below the VIN plate. On the WP, you should see a place that says 'axle'...then there should only be a single digit for a 2wd (2 for a 4wd...and if you have this, that means your door has been replaced)

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
The Warranty Plate has codes for the W.B. / COLOR / MODEL / BODY / TRANS / AXLE / GVW / DSO, and on some, the actual YEAR.

Ben, the AXLE code could be two or three digits, not just one. 2WD or 4WD has nothing to do with it, as Ford usually did not put 4WD front driving axle info in the AXLE code.

1959 thru today cars/trucks: If the AXLE code begins with a letter: Limited Slip, if with a number, no Limited Slip.

Sample 1976 F250 AXLE code = C8J: C8 = Dana 60 / 3.73-1 / Limited Slip / 5300 lb. Rear Axle Capacity // J = Power Steering.

The "VIN plate" is actually the Safety Standards Certification Label first used in 1970.

On this label will be found the VIN, Production Date, Front/Rear GVW and later, the tire size.

In 1981, there is no more Warranty Plate, as all the codes are on the Certification Label which is white and glued on.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ben, the AXLE code could be two or three digits, not just one. 2WD or 4WD has nothing to do with it, as Ford usually did not put 4WD front driving axle info in the AXLE code.

Whoops good catch Bill...apparently my memory isn't as good as yours...and this is gonna be as good as it gets for me...crap.

Once a person knows the rear axle the front axle is fairly easy but still requires some research.

A 3.54 rear will have a 3.54 front

a 3.70 rear will have a 3.70 front

a 3.73 rear will have a 3.73 front

a 4.11 rear will have a 4.10 front

Mike that image looks like one of mine :)

76RatingPlate.jpg

1976AxleCodes.jpg

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
This chart only covers certain years.

Ford may use a certain code one year, the next year it could be something entirely different.

Mike that image looks like one of mine :)

Not sure where I scraped that from, but somewhere along the line, I'm am sure you hand your hands on it and it's in the "Mil1ion Technical Library". Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right smilieFordlogo

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
On the drivers side of the cab inside the door opening below the striker.

Mine has ALWAYS been on the driver's side door below the VIN on all my dentsides.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
On the drivers side of the cab inside the door opening below the striker.
From 1963 thru 1980, the Warranty Plate is located on the left door face below the latch.

The striker plate is located on the B pillar, not on the door itself.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ah thought he was lookin for the sticker.

Dan...take a pic of what you're talking about...I've never had a sticker under my striker in a dent...it's always been under my VIN

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Ah thought he was lookin for the sticker.
The OP wants to know what the AXLE and other codes refer to, so why would he want to look at the "sticker?"

The sticker is the white Safety Standards Certification Label, first used in 1970.

Thru 1980, depending on the year, this label has the VIN, production date, front/rear GVWR and tire sizes on it PERIOD

1973/1980, the codes for W.B. / COLOR / MODEL / BODY / TRANS / AXLE / GVW / DSO (YEAR-1976/80) are on the Warranty Plate.

1981, Ford went to 17 digit VIN's on trucks (1980 cars).

All this info is now on the Certification Label...cuz there is no more Warranty Plate.

Code 24 is a Dana 60 4.11 non-locking

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts