Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

VIN Tag on Bed?

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Hey guys-

I never knew there were VIN tags on the body anywhere besides the door, but I just found this tag on an old rusted out, unsalvageable bed that I cut up to take to the scrap yard. It was hanging on the bottom front of the driver's side bedside panel.

Am I the only one that never saw one of these? What can anyone tell me about them--or about the truck according to the numbers on the plate? This is off the truck I learned to drive in, and all but the bed have been long gone for years.

Attachments

• bed tag.jpg

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Doesn't really look like VIN numbers. Perhaps just an ID tag like those found on carburetors or distributors or axles?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Is that what they call a buck tag?

Regardless:

F14- 150 4wd
A- 240

That's all I got from memory

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That's why I thought it was a VIN, it started with the F14.

I've never seen anything exactly like that before, so I can't really give any info, but I believe it is a buck tag. But was the truck in fact a 150 4x4 with a 240 I6? For it to have a 240 (which I dunno if they even came in the dentside 4x4's), it would have had to have been an early dentside, like 73 or 74.

Last edited:

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I've never seen anything exactly like that before, so I can't really give any info. But was the truck in fact a 150 4x4 with a 240 I6? For it to have a 240 (which I dunno if they even came in the dentside 4x4's), it would have had to have been an early dentside, like 73 or 74.

yep they did. Blue Bomber had a 74 F100 with a 240 I6 in it.

It's a buck tag. I have seen them on quite a few trucks.

That particular BUCJK TAG is for the chassis guys to make sure the trucks gets the proper body parts

Blue Bomber

Tennessee Chapter member
yep they did. Blue Bomber had a 74 F100 with a 240 I6 in it.

I had a 240 with a three speed. I did my best to kill that engine and never could. I think its still going, too.smilieFordlogo

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Thanks for the info, guys. I never saw one of those before.

The truck actually had a 300 I6 in it. It was a 1978 F-150 4x4, 4 spd.

FYI, if you lose the VIN tag on your door and don't have one on the dash, try looking on your frame somewhere - mine was behind the motor a little lol

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts