Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Valve Cover Alteration

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey fellas...decided I wanted to get a new set of 351M/400 valve covers. However, I'm not too thrilled with the selection available. I like the finned design, but I don't like Edlebrock products and it's hard to find the old MT covers. So that leaves me with the Ford Racing polished aluminum finned covers. However, I equate having Ford Racing involved with a vehicle that doesn't actually race to ricers with fart cans or somebody who plasters stickers all over their rig.

Anyway, I've decided I'm gonna get the Ford covers (when the funds allow). I also decided I'm gonna mill out the word 'Racing' on the covers so it's flush. I always liked the covers for SB's that had the blue oval and said '302 Powered' or simply had the Blue Oval and the displacement. I'm thinking I'm going to get '400' cut and then put those where 'racing' was.

Here's a set similar to what I'm looking at:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-6582-A342R/?rtype=10

The set I want has the text and oval stretched across almost the whole top of the cover.

My questions:

1) Anyone have suggestions on the font for '400'. And should it be slanted?

2) If these are aluminum covers, the numbers should be aluminum also, right?

3) How in the hell should I attach the numbers to with stand the heat?

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Weld them on....

I dont equate the ford racing like that...
Its a ford product and part of the "higher end" line up.
You pay more for it, but get a better product as well...
I see it as there stamp for quality.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright...figured welding would be the way to, but I'm definitely not capable of welding aluminum and I don't wanna warp the cover. Guess I suck and I'll have to outsource that portion.

As for having the 'racing' on the valve cover...I just think it's tacky, like a permanent sticker. If you see a stock 351M with those valve covers on it, my first thought is not 'oh look, there's quality.' Usually I think the owner is a blow hard trying to be cool...essentially being a poser.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
But yours is not stock.

Also not a racer. I also have Holley, Edelbrock, Comp, Hooker, etc. stickers...and I don't put them on either, because I'm not a tool bag pretending I have something that it's not.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
What about the "powered by Ford" ones?

That's kinda what I was trying to emulate. I see them for SBF's and BBF's...but haven't seen any for the 335 family.

I can see that point ben...

This for the bronk, or red?

Depends on how well it turns out.

This looks kind of cool http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Not finned and I'm sure not the best quality valve cover, but I can't believe how expensive some are. Yikes! I'm glad I found my M/T valve covers at a pull-a-part for $5. LOL

Can't look at the link now...but you're a lucky bastard, I can't find a trashed pair pf MT valve covers around here for less than $100.

Fellro

Staff member
If the material is thick enough, you could have them milled in rather than built up... a machine shop with a CNC should be able to do it.

I haven't seen the Powered By Ford on any 335, always the flat emissions sticker valve cover... Had some on 390's, haven't run any 460's, but have seen them on 302's.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Not a bad idea...but if the blue oval is raised, would it still look alright with the 400 milled in?

Fellro

Staff member
I really don't see why it wouldn't if done well.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Those M/Ts look nice.

I know this is late, but sometimes you can find some decent buys on ebay. Sometimes they are not listed right. I picked up this stuff a while ago and have yet to install them.

Attachments

• ebay stuff.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I know this is late, but sometimes you can find some decent buys on ebay. Sometimes they are not listed right. I picked up this stuff a while ago and have yet to install them.

Cool man...Those MT vc's look awesome. I'd love to get a set of those. Primarily though, I wasn't looking for vc's because I needed them but because I was looking to do something unique.

I know what you mean. But even getting some of the older stuff in decent shape seems to be unique. At least they would look better than some of those cheap looking chrome covers that sell for $20.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts