Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

V10 or Diesel ?

I was referring to pre 2002 1 tons with the 6.9 IDI, 7.3IDI, 7.3 Powerstroke being the good trucks. The 6.0 and 6.4 suck.

Duramax Allison has been a good combination for us. About 200K fairly trouble free miles per unit. Had nearly a dozen of the things.

Used to get 16mpg average. Now with the emissions crap my newest units are getting less than 10.

For the money, I'm switching to gas units.

Ok, lets go this straight only the EXTREMELY early 6.0s suck, the others ones are decent unless they are modded crazily. The 6.4 is a fine unit. Don't make me bring up the GM 6.5 diesels.

On another note I don't know how soon you're looking into buy this but 2010 is the last year for the 6.4 and the 6.8 V10. The 6.4 will be replaced by a 6.7 and the V10 will be replaced by a 6.2 V8. I don;t know if i'd be comfortable buying a early first model year engine. Just my 2c.

I was unfortunate owner of 2 Duramax trucks. An 02 and a 05. Never again!
Trip to get equipment in 03 with 02 and it just quit on the hwy. 3 weeks to get parts? loaner car? Not quite a yr later plowing snow with 02 and injector wiring harness problem shut it down in middle of parking lot at nite, big tow bill, almost a grand to fix even with warranty and one frozen worker as I was acrost town plowing. And the 05 was back at the dealer 18 times the first yr, 15 the next and that's where the Fixamax thing came from.

Ok, lets go this straight only the EXTREMELY early 6.0s suck, the others ones are decent unless they are modded crazily. The 6.4 is a fine unit. Don't make me bring up the GM 6.5 diesels.

On another note I don't know how soon you're looking into buy this but 2010 is the last year for the 6.4 and the 6.8 V10. The 6.4 will be replaced by a 6.7 and the V10 will be replaced by a 6.2 V8. I don;t know if i'd be comfortable buying a early first model year engine. Just my 2c.

I'm doing this fairly soon and my dealer says before July you can still get the V10.
And as far as the 6.5 Gm Diesel goes I made that mistake also. Still have the 2 trucks but not with the 6.5 engine. When the diesel pickup thing started Ford didn't know how to so they wen't to Navistar(International truck) and learned from them. Dodge did the same with Cummins. GM thought they knew everything when they new nothing about diesel, and about the time that GM realized they knew nothing they went to Isuzu who they bought an interest in and "adapted" a diesel engine.
That's what Ford did back about 20 some yrs ago with the 6.9 diesel so does that mean GM is 20 yrs behind ford or what?

Last edited:
I wish somebody, anybody, would make a 1 ton dually with a big block gas V-8. 460, 454, 8.1, whatever.

The 460 in my F-250 is a good puller, even though the hydraulic clutch sucks.

I wish somebody, anybody, would make a 1 ton dually with a big block gas V-8. 460, 454, 8.1, whatever.

The 460 in my F-250 is a good puller, even though the hydraulic clutch sucks.

Though it might not be a big block, for is coming out with a 6.2 V8 the I think will be available in that form.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Nobody makes that anymore, that's why I rebuilt the 460/C6 in my 87 F250 and all the GM diesel trucks I converted to 500 Cad motors. As long as I have this big repair shop might as well use it.

Didn't IH make a big block V-8 for Class 7 trucks that was over 12 liters? This would have been in the 60's or 70's. I seem to recall seeing something like that in a salvage yard at some point.

Didn't IH make a big block V-8 for Class 7 trucks that was over 12 liters? This would have been in the 60's or 70's. I seem to recall seeing something like that in a salvage yard at some point.

I the good ole days all big trucks including semi trucks were run on gas and had very large gas engines, Hercules, Dimond-Reo, International, Mack and more all had large gas engines.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Look up the operating weight of my John Deere 85D and get back to me with a small vehicle that can move it.

Hmmm..then I guess there is one answer...a diesel. Fuel costs are part of running a business...and you think a large gaspot is gonna save you fuel costs hauling large weights?

Last edited:
Look up the operating weight of my John Deere 85D and get back to me with a small vehicle that can move it.

My hardscaper's old F-350 with a 360 V-8 4spd will move it if the trailer balance is right but you wont go fast or handle well. I hear what your saying about a big block's power and torque. Fords V10 is about the only large gas truck left, and we're having a good yr and need to add another truck and I am not concerned with fleet buying or anything like that. If I have to pay a bit more to get what works best and efficiantly for us I will.

Hmmm..then I guess there is one answer...a diesel. Fuel costs are part of running a business...and you think a large gaspot is gonna save you fuel costs hauling large weights?

Yes sir. The diesel engine itself costs more. The fuel for it costs more. Maintenance costs more. Repairs cost more.

The new diesels I own are getting 10mpg. A big gas truck gets about the same. Seems like a no brainer. Might as well save the money.

How many 6.0/6.4's have you owned?

One. A chassis cab with a mason dump. Never doing that again.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yes sir. The diesel engine itself costs more. The fuel for it costs more. Maintenance costs more. Repairs cost more.

The new diesels I own are getting 10mpg. A big gas truck gets about the same. Seems like a no brainer. Might as well save the money.

Knock yourself out...I guess all the class 7 and 8 trucks will be doing the same thing

2005. Had that ***** for 4 months before I traded it out. No power, constantly throwing codes, dash rattled, more wiring issues than I can count, front end shook. That truck was a raging pile of ****.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts