Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

update on the 08 6.4 i'm working on

blacksnapon

Staff member
Top-7_edited.jpg
Truck develops aeration in the fuel. After driving, park it on an incline with the driver side down, it won't start. Bleed the system, it starts (until you park with driver side down). The high pressure side always has bubbles in the fuel. I'm thinking combustion is getting past the washer at the bottom of an injector. Looks like #2

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Top-7_edited.jpg
Truck develops aeration in the fuel. After driving, park it on an incline with the driver side down, it won't start. Bleed the system, it starts (until you park with driver side down). The high pressure side always has bubbles in the fuel. I'm thinking combustion is getting past the washer at the bottom of an injector. Looks like #2
subscribing smilieeatndrink

blacksnapon

Staff member
Think I got it! The fittings for the feed and the return on the high pressure fuel pump are banjo bolt style. Originally they have dual copper washers. The copper ones have been replaced with viton coated steel washers. The copper ones have a torque spec of 28 lbs ft. The viton ones, 18 lbs ft. We had a slight leak ,not under pressure, but after it is shut off. The fuel would bleed down from the secondary fuel filter housing.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
The deal is, you don't read about the ones that are out there running flawlessly day in and day out.

No, but I have seen many many, on the side of the road, more then I have seen of Dodge chub and yotes..

damn near every owner i've run in to says they suck for the most part.. Not saying the truck is bad, the worthless International under the hood sucks.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
The more I read about these engines, the more I think they are total garbage..
With much less issues than the 6.0 I don't see the basis for this statement?

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
The 6.4 essentially IS a 6.0 with a few "hang ons". Same block, close to the same heads. The electronics are the major headache.
Vince, how many cabs have you had to pull off of 6.0 vs 6.4 trucks?

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I can tell you that up at the diamond mines in NWT, all they run are F350 diesels. My good friend is heavy duty mechanic up there and tells me they have minimal problems with them...esp given the circumstances which they are run in.

I am happy with my 6.0L. I can only imagine that I would be at least as satisfied with a 6.4L. Having a true common rail injection system would be nice along with the increased stability of the head gaskets due to the larger bolt size. Those virtues however are leveraged with a truck that is paid for.....

blacksnapon

Staff member
Well, the truck finally left with the customer. It's been quite the journey! Essentially, the high pressure fuel pump, and the tank sender was the cause of the headaches. We'd released the truck to the customer, only to have it towed back. The fuel tank sender (the first component replaced per ssm) was defective. The sender has a bypass valve a couple of inches above the primary pickup. Its function is to allow fuel flow if the pickup gets plugged due to gelling. Well, the damned thing popped out, allowing it to suck air when the tank got low. The customer was not happy (damn, he's big too!).

Ford Truck Articles