Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Up Next...Clutch Replacement....

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Drove the ranger to the lease last week and the clutch is slipping. Time for a new clutch. While I am in there, I am going to replace the slave cylinder and throwout bearing. It is a 2wd 2.3L 2003 model. I will take pics and do a tech write up when I do it.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I'm looking forward to this one.

Ryan

racsan

4xford
just did mine, was $200 in parts, slave cyl was leaking & i had to top off master cyl every time i drove it, friction point was just off the floor, one time i just took off when starting, no clutch at all! throwout bearing had been noisy for awhile, pressure plate fingers showed scaring, im guessing at one time bearing locked & fingers were just spinning on bearing surface. clutch disc itself looked good, and it outta, had only 70,000 miles on this clutch set, and yes i did also replace the slave/throwout bearing along with a clutch kit back then. (truck only had 80,000 on it then, trans lost 2nd gear) i did put a new clutch master & line to the trans on this past spring, so now all the clutch hydraulics are now new, drives so much better now, seems like the friction point would change every time you stepped on the clutch, now its about in the middle of the travel, every time. and no fluid loss!
at least yours is a 2wd, having a transfer case to remove & a extra driveshaft to remove/reinstall sure causes more time & effort for the job, its alot heavier than it looks too! id guess about 50-75 pounds for the t-case, trans must be a good 80 pounds itself, it would have helped to drain the oil out of both, but i had changed oil in both not to long ago & just left that be.

Last edited:

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Where on earth did you get all the parts that cheap?

Ford Truck Articles