Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Under the Hood AGAIN!

rambler

New Shoes......
OK,, after many years of trouble free service.. I'm under the hood again.

first,, blew spark plug in #3,, dealer fixed that... ($$$$ ouch)

then I replaced all the ball joints... ( PITA )

also tried to clean up the auto hubs, but at least cleaned and replaced the vaucmn hoses there..

all this within a few weeks,, so after less than 100 miles the truck spits out code P0308 and P0353 on #8,, according to autozone.. I get a BWD coil and new plug (motorcraft) from orielly as mentioned on this site,, and replace it..

Plug I pulled was very dirty..

Ran good for 30-60 miles MIL on again... same codes. swapped coil with new BWD again from orielly, pulled plug, looked good.. everything was on fine..

Ran great for 200 miles,, well this morning again same code!

NOW WHAT?

Any ideas? I cannot believe its another coil, and why only #8? so what I'm told by autozone when the pulled the codes...

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
We keep coils on shelf . May not be your issue but We have 8 2000 up F350-450-550. None have got over 5000 out of coil after originals died at 25000 or so. with the v10 its a weekly fix it seems .

But good luck on search

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
The number 8 cylinder has a heater line run over top of it and usually causes the weak point on the coil to break right by the head of the coil and where it plugs in at. You can try to get your heater core lines up off of it by holding them up with a zip tie or something. I would have Oreilly's check the codes and clear them. As far as I know AZ can't clear the codes for you.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Screw oriliey's....
I have yet to have a good expierence with them. 3 different stores, each visited a few times.
Advanced auto gets me the correct part and i know it will work right, almost everytime.
Lower ball joints were a pain in the arse, but it was really a guessing game....

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
are these a coil pack, or a coil on plug thing?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Coil on plug. is what we have.

rambler

New Shoes......
I have reset the computer ( pulled the battery for 5 mins) and will run it again and see what happens, I hope it warms up soon, and I'll replace all the COPs at that time...

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
is there anything that could be getting fluids of some kind on COPs?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
yeah moisture is an issue but not on most. only on mine really because I took my inner fender liners out. so I get more road spray than most! LOL

rambler

New Shoes......
I didn't see any moisture on this,, it all started with #3 popping out,, taking it to the dealer and they fixed that ( ouch) then they did the cruise control recall fix, I fixed the ball joints and such.. and now this happens...

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I will tell you that once one starts going then they all seem to pop in a matter of about a month of each other. I would say swap coils and see what happens. then swap plugs and see what happens then swap injectors and see what happens.

kevin9

New Jersey Chapter member
misfire

p0353 is for cylinder number 3 coil primary circuit.are you sure cyl #8 misfire is the other code?it is probably cyl #3 misfire and you may have a bad pcm as the driver circuit is in the computer.and because the plug blew out of cylinder #3 this makes sense.three coils in a row is rare,i think you are on the wrong cylinder.try switching cyl #3 coil with #4 then clear and see what happens cyl #3 is on passenger side third coil back.if you need more help let me know,kevin

rambler

New Shoes......
codes are P0308 and P0353 on my 5.4 2000 superduty..

I have to rely on what autozone and orielly told me on which cylinder, and the stealership wants $$ to check the code and swares it cant be #3, because they fixed that one!

I ordered a ODB2 code reader yesterday, once I get it, I'll pull them myself and reset and see what happens...

it doesnt seem to run bad,, but doesnt run "great" with or w/o the MIL on...

kevin9

New Jersey Chapter member
misfire

check the connector for cylinder #3 coil and at least swap the coils between 3 and 4.if the plug blew out on3 and they didnt replace the coil i would bet it suffered some damage.i see coil failures alot on these motors but very rarely does it set the p0353 most of the time it doesn't set codes at all.there is a way to test the computer feed to the coil.if you want to go further let me know

Ford Truck Articles