Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ugh! points problem again.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Ok here's the deal. I do not drive my truck much lately except to move it from one side of the street to the other with the exception of the occasional drive. Today I towed a trailer and it was running fine for most of the trip. It is about 102 degrees or so with the heat index and temp. climbed to about 210 degrees. Fairly normal. Usually run around 200 degrees with a 195 degree t-stat. Plus I believe in a few threads I've read awhile back Dennis said 210 was normal so this doesn't concern me. About 2 blocks from my house at 2500rpms it started backfiring out of the exhaust and had no power. First thing I checked was the timing. It is at 6 deg BTDC which is where it always was. The last time I had this issue it moved a little so I adjusted it back. This time it did not move so timing is ok. Second thing I did was check the points. I first used my dwell meter and the dwell was around 23-24. Haynes book says 24 to 30 so this to me is a bit low obviously. So I checked the gap and it was a little below 0.017. I don't even have 1,000 miles on these points. Any reason why they appear to keep moving on me? They are "good" NAPA points. Hate to say it, but I never had this problem with Autozone points. Tomorrow I'm going to get another set of points and condensor from Autozone I think. I'm also considering replacing the coil. It is an ACCEL yellow coil. I might see what NAPA has for that. Any other things to check for? I know the last time I posted Vince said to check the plate and how it moves in the distributor and that looked fine so I don't think I need to change the whole distributor even though I do carry a spare in the truck LOL. I'm pretty sure it is just the points though. It is just getting really frustrating since this is the second or third time I've had issues with them in 1,000 miles or so.

Did you put some lube on the dist cam lobes where the points block rides on ?

If not the block should be wearing out quickly and changing the gap .

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Yes I put the little bit that comes with the kit and it still had some on it. It comes in a little capsule. Kind of looks like tylenol gelcap I guess. They don't really give you much. Is there something better to use?

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I have to guess you got a bad set of points. I have had 4-5bad sets in a row that barely lasted 500 miles in the mustang. The contacts melted on mine. Cheap Chinese junk.

why noy buy the crane cams x900 point to elctronics conversion kit or the petronix kit and get rid of the points?i have used the cran cams kit with great results

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I'm going to get another set of points tomorrow. I had that exact crane kit and following the intructions to install the didn't seem to fit right in my distributor. I sold it. I thought about the petronix kit but read how a bunch of people carry spare points just in case the petronix failed I decided I might as well just stick with points since they only take a few minutes to change anyway.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Well I put the new points in from Autozone dwell is at 26 and seems to be running ok now. I'll take it for a ride tomorrow. The points and condensor was half the cost of what I paid at NAPA and side by side I couldn't tell a difference at all between the two. The old points (which weren't really old) had a C shaped mark on the contact. I guess it melted a bit. The guy at Autozone was very unsure of what I was asking for so he just handed me the keyboard to search for what I needed. LOL For once this didn't bother me at all because he wasn't one of those people trying to act like a know-it-all the other times I go in there. So looks like I will go there now for points to save some money.

HerbinTexas

Texas Chapter member
I had similar issue with mine, backfire and what not. Turns out the advance plate in the distributor was shot. Bought a reman from Parts Plus. Runs as smooth as any electronic unit around. Oh 60.00 bucks and change.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I checked the advance plate and it is ok. I put a new set of points in and it runs great. Thanks for the suggestion though, and I do have a spare distributor in the truck just in case.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Good suggestion Duncan. I may look into that if I keep having issues constantly, but money is a bit of an issue right now so I don't want to put out $370, but will save that link.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
They are a bit pricey, that's for sure.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts