Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Turn signal issues on '99 Cougar

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
A friend of mine's mom has a '99 Mercury Cougar that is having issues with the turn signals acting up when the headlights are on.
The turn signals work fine when the headlights are off, but they don't like to work most of the time when the headlights are in use.
I'm thinkin' possibly a short or a crossed wire?
Or maybe a bad turn signal switch?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

blacksnapon

Staff member
A friend of mine's mom has a '99 Mercury Cougar that is having issues with the turn signals acting up when the headlights are on.
The turn signals work fine when the headlights are off, but they don't like to work most of the time when the headlights are in use.
I'm thinkin' possibly a short or a crossed wire?
Or maybe a bad turn signal switch?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
What are they doing? Is it one side over another? Do they not work at all?

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
Not one side or other, they just don't want to work at all when the headlights are on low-beam.
On high-beam, they will only work if you hold down the lever and wiggle it for whichever side you are trying to use.
When the headlights are off though, they work fine.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Not one side or other, they just don't want to work at all when the headlights are on low-beam.
On high-beam, they will only work if you hold down the lever and wiggle it for whichever side you are trying to use.
When the headlights are off though, they work fine.
I'd go combination switch.

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
The car's headlight switch is in the dash, not turn signal mounted.
However, the high-beam switch is on the turn signal lever.
Is this the combination switch you are referring to ?

Ford Truck Articles