Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Truck died and wont start!

FordBoy86

Kentucky Chapter member
Ok so I was driving down the road around lunch time today and all of the sudden the truck jerked a couple of times and died while it coasted down a hill where i was able to coast into a neigborhood. i tried starting it but it won't start. If i turn the key i don't hear a humm from the fuel pump. i tried switching to the rear tank and still no start. the truck will crank but no start. I even tried jumping it just for the hell of it even though it has a brand new battery and still no start. any ideas what it might be. maybe a relay? i checked alll the fuses and none were blown. Does the truck have 2 fuel pumps or one. i have dual tanks. It is a 1994 f150 ext cab 5.8l with e40d.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
It has a pump in each tank. Is there a shrader valve on the fuel rail that you could check to see if it's getting any gas?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
It looks like the valve where you put air in your tires. It should be on the fuel rail up near where the upper and lower intake come together.

FordBoy86

Kentucky Chapter member
ya both tanks are full lol. I replaced the ignition coil and i noticed a loose wire that has a connector that comes from the ignition coil connector. it looks like it is supposed to go into a small cylindrical thing that some what looks like a batter that is attached to the bracket where the ignition coil is mounted. any idea what this is?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
it's a resistor for your coil ground........that would not cause your fuel pump not to kick on....listen to kuzmen, he ain't a Ford tech for nothin.....check the pcm/ecm relay and try to start it again.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
ya both tanks are full lol. I replaced the ignition coil and i noticed a loose wire that has a connector that comes from the ignition coil connector. it looks like it is supposed to go into a small cylindrical thing that some what looks like a batter that is attached to the bracket where the ignition coil is mounted. any idea what this is?

ok just was wondering cause you didnt say it previously and ive seen people post the question and it end up being out of gas. but like Junior said go with kuzmen's thought. He's a Ford Tech and knows what he's talking bout.

You hear your fuel pump right? If you do what to do next is check the rail make sure fuels getting there, if yes, now check spark at the plugs, if yes, pop off the distributor cap, have someone crank it and watch the rotor, if it spins move on..

If you have fuel and spark and engine cranks, the TFI module may be bad, literally this same exact scenario happened on my buddys 5.0 mustang last night. If you dont hear any pops, like fuel igniting its a good chance its the TFI

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Ok so I was driving down the road around lunch time today and all of the sudden the truck jerked a couple of times and died while it coasted down a hill where i was able to coast into a neigborhood. i tried starting it but it won't start. If i turn the key i don't hear a humm from the fuel pump. i tried switching to the rear tank and still no start. the truck will crank but no start. I even tried jumping it just for the hell of it even though it has a brand new battery and still no start. any ideas what it might be. maybe a relay? i checked alll the fuses and none were blown. Does the truck have 2 fuel pumps or one. i have dual tanks. It is a 1994 f150 ext cab 5.8l with e40d.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Paco

Tennessee Chapter member
Mine is doing something similar as well. My fuel pump comes on tho. I just replaced the ignition coil and it seems to be running alright since yesterday. Maybe check the tank selector switch too! I've heard they can go bad and do this type of thing.

FordBoy86

Kentucky Chapter member
ok so i have replaced the ignition coil, fuel pump relay, pcm relay,ignition switch, cylinder lock(its was broken so got it out of the way), new spark plugs recently,and brand new battery. So the truck wont start and i still have no spark and i cant hear the fuel pump come on when i turn the key. Could it be the ignition control module?

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Unplug one of your injectors and check for 12 volts on the red wire, with the key on. If no 12 volts I would suspect somthing with the pcm power relay ckt's, ignition switch, fuses. Check fuse U in the battery box should be a 20amp. If the fuse is ok, make sure there is 12 volts to it with the key on. Let me know how you make out here and I will tell you where to go next.

Ford Truck Articles