Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Trnsmission Woes....

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Had an issue today where my truck shifted into OD then kicked itself into nuetral.....I've read quite a few explanations of this but looking for more feedback. Hit it with a Snap-On scanenr and nothing came up (pertaining to that). My fluid DOES need to be changed and I'll do that as soon as I possibly can. However, until then, I'm hunting for either another AODE or an M5OD to throw in there...as well as looking for feedback. Thanks guys and the 5 spd is not definitive since my bad knee is my left.....

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yea, its def an electrical issue. Never seen a trans go into neutral. I forget if the scanner will show what gears are selected, might be a good idea to drive it with the scanner hooked up and see what it shows when it does it, or try to see what your doing when it happens.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Get a manual... Then you can blame it on user error! :D

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Unless something goes haywire in the trans...
But yes in general you are correct, its hard to mess up a manual and blame it on anything but user error.

Jr. i would suspect shift solenoid is shorting out and or taking a crap.
I would guesstimate probably bout 80 dollar part.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
This is an AODE? I know the E4OD has the MLPS (sensor) on the driver side of the trans that can get fouled up sometimes. Check the connection, clean the harness, shoot some dialectic grease in there and hooked it back up. Also check the attachment bolts.

If that doesn't do the trick, check the fluid and possibly change. Fluid smell burnt at all? Almost sounds like your TC is slipping but you're saying it shifts to neutral and doesn't shift back to the correct gear until you fiddle with the shifter? If so-- probably electrical and most likely related to the MLPS (if the AODE has one).

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
AODE is the precursor to the 4R70W and is also the predecessor to the AOD. I've narrowed it down to a shift solenoid sticking....have yet to replace it but soon enough....37 dollar part.

The AODE was never used in a truck, only cars.
They went from AOD to 4R70W in the truck line.

Soune like the OP may have a bad TPS.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
tps wouldn't do random neutral's though.

Problems shifting yes, but a random neutral, negative.

As for the AODE i will have to check my manual, but i am fairly sure it was a 2wd truck trans as well.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
tps wouldn't do random neutral's though.

Problems shifting yes, but a random neutral, negative.

As for the AODE i will have to check my manual, but i am fairly sure it was a 2wd truck trans as well.
I tend to agree... One time I snipped my TPS wire (don't ask) and it drove fine. Granted-- the trans had some REALLY strange shift patterns, it never dropped into neutral though.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Tell that to every parts store or aftermarket company I've ever looked at for parts...always comes up as an AODE not a 4R70W...no use in arguing with them about it. And apparently the 4R70W was released in 93 not mid 94...but that was wiki also. Anyways...I've narrowed it down to a sticky shift solenoid.....my TPS voltage showed .98v......

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Junior if you're not 100% on which transmission you've got, this should help:

transmission.jpg

FINALLY some one has the EXACT same issue as me..

mine does (did, since its off the road) the same thing only now its not only in OD..

Heres what mine sometimes does.. over rev first and late shift to 2nd.. will neutral out from 2nd to third..

if im on the highway, in OD, it sometimes will neutral out, very scary if it does that when it goes to downshift in Cruise Control...

ive been told its the solenoid pack..

would be nice to get closure BEFORE I (we) get new trannys..

and by the way, the tranny is going to be an AODE-W (4R70W) or E4OD.. In flareside_thunders i believe its the AODE-W.. 1996 is when its actually called 4R70W.. i remember that the easy way, same time OBD-II came in

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts