Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

transmission is going going gone...:(

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
well on my way from work tonight my transmission pretty much said.."I GIVE UP". it still works but BARELY. basically whats happening is when i start it up and put it in 1st, i let the clutch out and it shutters like CRAZY! the entire trucks shakes like a bastard. i put it into 2nd..same thing...now it only happens when the clutch is being released. not when its in gear or out of gear.

the other odd part is that when driving i come to a light and i have it in nuetral it will stall because its "in gear"...this happens every other time or so. tomorrow im buying 5 qts of ATF and dumping it in the tranny because i know its low..

WTF is going on? is this a tranny issue or a clutch issue? i checked the clutch fluid and topped it off but its still doing the same thing. also the input bearing is a bit louder now.. i thought i smelt a hint of ATF in the air but that might have been me just dreaming it up being that it was 1230am:headbang:

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
sounds like slave cylinder is going...

At the stop lights its stalling because when you depress the clutch the slave cyclinder obviously disengages the clutch...which in your case is not happening.

Since your up north, follow the lines and make sure there isnt a tear where your loosing pressure.

As far as shaking like crazy, my buddy just had this issue, It ended up being a pressure plate had cracked...and warped and bent. Couldnt get past 2nd gear. But it made noises and shook like crazy

Heres my opinion, what id do.

Pull the tranny, replace clutch, pressure plate (one assembly IIRC) and slave cylinder, make sure and have your flywheel turned so you dont have chatter when re-assembled. and while your there replace your rear engine main seal.
Replace throw out bearing (assuming it has one, it hsould no doubt but i may be wrong) and replace front and rear tranny seals, why not while you have it out....

Clutch is about 100 bucks, slave cylinder is 15, fly wheel turned (atleast on a big rig) is 20-40, throw out bearing 5-6 bucks, Seals as mentioned above, 30 bucks.

170-250 ish...do your own work.

Basics essentially, clutch, slave cylinder, flywheel turned are your essentials. But if you have it out, do it all so you dont haft to tear it down again because of some other issue.

Anyways, thats what it sounds like to me,
Anthony

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
yeah this weekend i am planning on doing the clutch, flywheel, and slave cylinder. i have a spare transmission just waiting to go in but its too damn cold right now to do that unless absolutely necessary. im just getting a new flywheel because mines about 20 years old and its only $84. good thing ive done this many times haha

well i just got a Pic message from Travis.. take a look at this, mighttt be his problem

0302001249.jpg

Last edited:

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
jb weld

Not just for the OP...
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/guidepins.jpg
7/16"-14 and about 6" long overall.
Suggestion... one from a 5+1/2" bolt and one from a 6" bolt. :)
Had those since '79 and lately made one from a 5+1/2" bolt
and also dog-nosed it and lengthened the dog-nose slightly
on those two too.

http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/guidepin.jpg
The ZF slid up to there with a simple push of a foot and
stopped on the engine's line-up pins. :)

http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/hoist7m.jpg
YMMV on whether you want to take the seats and carpet
out and do it from above "in comfort" or from below. :)

http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/hoist8m.jpg
I don't like that picture :/ the chain was repositioned and
I don't like where it's at. It could be (should be?) a little
farther back and hooked behind the drain plug IMO. That
was just a temporary spot because I had it -too- far back
to start-with and the chain ran into the sheet metal. :/

http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/hoist9m.jpg
Normally I would have the rear mount bolted-in and slide
the -whole works- :) crossmember and all, in or out, but
the Bronco just doesn't have room for that business like
my '75 and '90 pickups do.

Franken, I'd like to help but you are a little bit too far away. :/

A life-long libertarian in AZ

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Dayum. Yeah Trav I got that pic message earlier but I couldnt respond cuz I was in an interview. Sucks man-- good luck fixing it.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
That pic would explane a lot!!! Too much torque!!! lol

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
hahaha yeah i went to napa to get some ATF...and then it finally wouldn't let me in gear at all....i now know why haha. i happened to get underneath and was like WOW!!!!! i guess GO BIG OR GO HOME(or find a ride home for this matter haha)

whats even better this is the SECOND time i have done this to this tranny. the last time was about 3 years ago and i ended up welding it back together because it wasnt this epic....this is now junk and i will be doing a flywheel, clutch kit, slave cylinder AND replacing my tranny with the on i have painted grabber green :D
0302001249.jpg

0302001249a.jpg

0302001251.jpg

this is what im replacing it with haha
0604091335a.jpg

im not even pissed either! im laughing my *** off! this is epic in my book. i will also be doing a tech article i guess too this weekend haha. ill let you all know how i fair with it

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
Cool thread. :)
And yeah, please do the tech article, it'll be cool too. :)

Uhhh... is that a cable spool? ;)

Alvin in AZ

thanks everyone...this should be interesting for the 3rd or so time i do this haha.

and no its not a cable spool, its an octagon shaped table:cool:

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
today i got half the parts in. the other half is on order and should be in tomorrow :)

new flywheel and ATF
24948_374054797138_501192138_528182.jpg

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Yo travis if you need any M5OD parts let me know cause i have the original that i grenaded, plus the perfectly fine one that i only had in for a few weeks before i did the ZF swap, a few flywheels laying around and lots of destroyed clutches lol

Ford Truck Articles