Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Transmission Cooler

Do I need an extra transmission cooler if I'm not towing anything? I'm replacing the radiator and am trying to avoid bending a new line for the trans cooler. I don't have a bending or flare tool. Also, do I need a fan shroud? The new radiator is not compatible with the old shroud. My new radiator is a 2 core aluminum. The truck is a '73 F-100 long bed with a 360 and a C-6 auto trans.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I wouldn't run a truck without at least the cooler in the radiator...#1 killer for a trans is heat. But you're in luck...those are low pressure lines, so grab some hose, hose clamps, and a screw in nipple for the radiator...and bam no bending needed. If you don't want to go that route, any box parts store with rent-a-tool program will have a tube bending and flaring kit...about $15/ea to be refunded upon return. Personally, I like running the cooler in the radiator in series with 6.0 stacked plate cooler. As for the shroud...hit or miss, I run them with, and I run them without...only time I've ever really noticed is idling on a trail on 100* days...but I run the stock super cooler radiator and a flow kooler water pump.

Thanks UTfball68. I'll take your advice and run that cooler. Also, thanks for the info on the shroud. I'll install a temp gauge and keep my eye on it.

Ford Truck Articles