Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Transmission code

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I got the trans code for my truck which is a T. When I was able to find the code,it listed as a Automatic 4 speed (Ranger) I was thing it was a AOD trans so I am a little confused.

Is this the AOD trans Automatic 4 speed (Ranger) ?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
AOD is a 4 speed...

3 regular forward gears with a 4th thats Overdrive...

your gear selector in you dash shows PRN(D)D1

to disengage overdrive just select the D without the circle..

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
AOD is a 4 speed...

3 regular forward gears with a 4th thats Overdrive...

your gear selector in you dash shows PRN(D)D1

to disengage overdrive just select the D without the circle..

Yeah Chris I know all that. I just needed to make sure so I can get the right rebuild kit for my trans.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
iirc the mustang enthusiasts found if you shift from D to 1 then back to D before it shifts down to 1 it holds in 2nd... but it wasn't good for it....

Useless piece of information...

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
iirc the mustang enthusiasts found if you shift from D to 1 then back to D before it shifts down to 1 it holds in 2nd... but it wasn't good for it....

Useless piece of information...

I guess they were too broke to buy a shift kit.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
it will... but it is NOT good for it..

it's also not good for the trans to have OD engaged if speeds are 45 mph or less... the trans has a high od ratio and that pumps the fluid real slow..

thats part of why mine when i bought it was burnt up...

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
it will... but it is NOT good for it..

it's also not good for the trans to have OD engaged if speeds are 45 mph or less... the trans has a high od ratio and that pumps the fluid real slow..

thats part of why mine when i bought it was burnt up...

Chris you are correct. Most people don't realize on our trucks to drive or tow in the 2nd D. Newer cars and trucks are easier since the computer controls the trans more.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Mine isn't going into OD and when it gets hot it likes to surge,buck, and try to die between 15mph and 35 mph. I know is it isn't the engine I put it in netural when it does that and revs didn't change. Check the fluid nice and clean but something is wrong inside. So I am going to get a rebuild kit and tear it down.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
yeah.. sounds like your trans is letting go..... but im no expert

Been watching videos on you tube and it seems straight forward to rebuild. I just need to get everything together so i can rebuild it. I am also thinking about lowering it while I am waiting to buy the kit. Rebuild kit, manual to rebuild it,shift kit will run about $300.00 which isn't bad.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Have you had it warmed up? when it's cold many of them won't go into od...

AODs are rather weak, and your's is probably shot, but I'd hate to see you redo it unneededly

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Have you had it warmed up? when it's cold many of them won't go into od...

AODs are rather weak, and your's is probably shot, but I'd hate to see you redo it unneededly

No the trans was hot when all this happened. So more than likely it is shot.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts