Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Transfer case binding?

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Okay guys, so I went fourwheelin' a little bit tonight. (same place where I got stuck last time.. we went back there to go fishing this time, but I still ended up stuck.)

I noticed when I pulled back out of the place, I drove across a two lane road, into a dirt area and tried to get it out of 4x4, and it wouldn't budge. Couldn't get the hubs unlocked either. I stuck it in reverse, stomped the throttle one time. and then I got it disengaged. I try\ied to turn around and dropped the front tires off into the ditch, and instead of burning up my rear tires just put it back in 4x4... and it bound up again. and again I had to put it in reverse, stomp the gas, and slap it back into 2wd. :headbang:

It's never done it before, and it doesn't concern me a whole lot, (did at the moment) but is there anything I should check?

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yeah its a problem my 72 has if the t case and hubs are locked in and it goes on pavement. As for bindin up while it was in the mud were the wheels turned all the way one way or the other?

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Yeah its a problem my 72 has if the t case and hubs are locked in and it goes on pavement. As for bindin up while it was in the mud were the wheels turned all the way one way or the other?

I only drove maybe 10feet on blacktop, and I figured it would let it slip once I got back into dirt. I couldn't take it out of 4x4 before I hit the road though, because you have to come through a mud hole, and up a hill to the road.

and nope, they where turned 3/4 the way at the most.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
When mine wanted to lock up, I would turn the wheels back and forth while
backing up. This seems to release the binding pressure and then it will shift out of 4wd easier

sweet, I'll try that next time. Like I said.. I got it back into 2 wheel by stomping the throttle about 3/8's and as soon asIi let off the gas, pushed it up into 2wd.

My 79 Bronco does that to, it has a 205 geardrive t case and I normally just drive ahead give it a bit of gas let of the gas to unload the t case and pull it out of 4wd into 2wd as the pressure comes off, it has worked for years. It is mostly a Ford thing but some of the Gm's I had years ago did it to.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts