Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Trans Temp Gauge is IN!!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Took me around 3 hours (longer than it should but I'm a perfectionist) and the gauge is in. I've even got the bulb getting power from the cluster illumination fuse so that the gauge dims WITH the cluster :D I know I know PICS PICS PICS. What do you guys think about the placement of both the gauge and Sirius radio?

DSC00880.jpg

DSC00879.jpg

DSC00878.jpg

It's an Autometer Z-Series with a green LED bulb (I paid extra for that) so that it matches the cluster VERY closely :) Whatcha guys think?

Last edited:
Get one of the admins (or Tom) to move it for you.

Looks good to me. Did you drill holes to mount them?

I like the gauge pods that go on the pillar (I think they hold 2 or 3 gauges).

I was not about to drill holes in my dash, so dad made me some brackets for my gauges.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah I drilled the dash :( I didn't love the idea either but there really weren't any other gauges I needed that would filled a 2-3 gauge pod, and I really don't have the money to spare for unneeded gauges right now... So this was my best option, plus I think it's kind of cool NOT having the pods like everyone else :D

No kidding. Gauges and pods are expensive!

I bought mine used from a guy who was parting out a ranger. That was a long time ago, but I got a heck of a deal on them and I am glad I did (now). They work perfectly and I think they sort of match the factory gauges.[confused]

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
it's goofy. that singer is pretty talentless.

I was thinking about doing the pods up the pillar when I get around to it. I want to get a trans temp, accurate water temp, and a voltage meter that doesn't suck. Andy had a 96 that had a tach mounted on it in about the same place. looks perty good.

Ryan

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yes I have. Best I could do was to take the inspection grommet out of the bellhousing and hit the torque converter with the IR gun. Also tried pointing it at the pan and the cooler lines. The gauge is pretty damned accurate -- even though I've got it plugged into the test port which you said would not give accurate readings ;)

I seem to recall you saying there was a difference of about 10*.

I am asking because I want to know exactly how much difference there was.

Also, check out my infared thermometer thread...

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I don't think I ever said there was a difference of about 10* unless I measured that number a while ago and completely forgot that I measured it, lol. I don't recall ever knowing an exact difference between the two. I'd check it again but I was using my brother's temp gun which I no longer have at my disposal, and I think he lost it so I won't be able to use it when he comes home either.

No can do.

I am banned from there.

If I remember correctly you said something along the lines of it being not exact but close enough to keep you from wanting to relocate the sensor elsewhere - another spot that may be more accurate.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts